Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: Don’t accept RTI petitions, SIC tells Palakkad RDO

The matter does not end with that. Mr.V V Giry, IC of SIC, Kerala in his power point presentation during CIC's Conference on 17-10-2007 (availablein CIC's site) had brought out that " resistance of PAs to provide information related illegal practices is one of theproblem faced by them ". But this appears to be a disinformation. Cityzens often ask information which if disclosed can expose serious acts of corruption/illegal practices. The government officials are found not comfortable with such application. Such information is invariably denied and the appellant prefer first appeal followed by complaint/second appeal to the SIC. Nothing stop the SIC in dispossing such cases strictly as per the RTI Act. But it is found that the SIC seggregate such cases and keep them in abeyance. When cases of such nature pending with them even since March 2006 (20 months old), they attend to other cases which are not even 2 months old. In case corruption is expossed accidentally during hearing, the SIC is found diverting the issue to merrit of the case supressing the entire episode of corruption expossed in his orders. On 10-11-2007 the SIC in his Press Conference at KOCHI has cautioned the public against misuse of the provisions of the Act blaming NGOs and social activists that they are going overboard and harrassing government officials. It appears that according to SIC asking such information is harrassment to government officials. 'The Hindu ' has highlighted that "SIC warns against using Act to harrass government offficials ". Mr.Karira has correctly brought out that it is high time for us to read Section 17 of the Act. Maj Ravindran has read it and initiated action. SIC's outburst on him and above orders to RDO and his press conference blaming NGOs and Activists is its outcome.

› Find content similar to: Don’t accept RTI petitions, SIC tells Palakkad RDO

Last edited by colnrkurup; 13-11-07 at 05:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

It seems that the Kerala SIC is emerging as a leader of the organisations working against the RTI Act.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    .....the SIC in his Press Conference at KOCHI has cautioned the public against misuse of the provisions of the Act blaming NGOs and social activists that they are going overboard and harrassing government officials. It appears that according to SIC asking such information is harrassment to government officials. 'The Hindu ' has highlighted that "SIC warns against using Act to harrass government offficials ". Mr.Karira has correctly brought out that it is high time for us to read Section 17 of the Act. Maj Ravindran has read it and initiated action. SIC's outburst on him and above orders to RDO and his press conference blaming NGOs and Activists is its outcome.
    If anyone in any PA feels that a RTI applicant is harassing him, why doesn't he/she file a Police complaint against the applicant ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Get well soon SIC
    I give flowers'n'flowers,flowers'n'flowers,flowers'n'flowers,flowers'n'flowers,flowers'n'flowers,flowers'n'flowers,

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

You said it ! The KSIC was Chief Secretary of Kerala State till two days before he assumed office of SIC . That by itself speaks volumes. He maintain close watch to see that none of his old comrades-in-arms are hurt by RTI Act. Let me quote a specific example of primary evidence. Believe it or not, it is truth, whole truth and nothing but truth. One of my case was heard by the Division Bench of SIC at Trivandrum. The RDO, Tellicherry , as the AA and myself were present. TheRDO kept on repeating the same old blatant lies given by the PIO. When the SIC is about to accept it I had brought out the prvisions of Section 18(3)(c) of RTI Act viz., receiving evidence on affidavit and insisted that the RDO should repeat the same in an affidvit and also had brought out that in case I prove that the affidavit is false the RDO will be liable for punishment. The SIC had no choice but to accept my plea and repeat it to the RDO. Immediately the RDO changed his statement and requestted theSIC to give him a chance to sort out the problem which cause me seek the information. The SIC gave one month time. But the RDO could not sort out the problem as his subordinateTahsildar and Town Surveyor does not obey RDO's orders. When I brought this to the notice of SIC by way of a complaint, he has issued judgement to give the information sought byme directing theRDO to settle the issue within two months. He has suppressed my entire arguements and the episode of false statement byRDO etc. It is another thing that theVillage Officer, Town Surveyor and Tahsildar does not bother about the orders given by the SIC in writing and theSIC does not bother when I reported back that even his orders are not obeyed.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 13-11-07 at 05:45 PM.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Your response is well appreciated Mr.Karira. The problem is that the SIC consider seeking inconvenient information or an information which when disclosed is likely to expose corruption/illegal activities of government official is a harassement.He has warned against NGOs and social activists from using RTI Act to harass government officials(The Hindu - 12-11-2007 - Mangalore Edition). I am in contact with Maj Ravindran. His fault was that he found that the SIC in camp sittings dispose hardly 6 to 7 cases leaving aside the older cases from that district especially which are likely to expose corruption. Maj Ravindran found futility of such sittings incurring heavy expenditure to the State, sought the information of the total expenditure incurred in one of such camp sittings. The SIC became furious and ordered RDO,Palght not to accept appeals as stipulated in Section 5(2).
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 13-11-07 at 06:05 PM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    15 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    .........His fault was that he found that the SIC in camp sittings dispose hardly 6 to 7 cases leaving aside the older cases from that district especially which are likely to expose corruption. Maj Ravindran found futility of such sittings incurring heavy expenditure to the State, sought the information of the total expenditure incurred in one of such camp sittings........
    Ok, it is becoming clearer now.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Kindly note that this thread had 91 views so far in such a short period. It shows as to what the like minded netizens are looking for. I think it is a good indicator of general nature of interest