Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Information requested for records which are 12 years old

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: time limit

Quote Originally Posted by kabilan s View Post
    Whether The limit of 20 years prescribed under section 8(3) is period of 20 years running from the date of request. Any occurrence before 20 years from the date of request seems unlimited. Please clarify with dicision if any on this.
    Your post has been merged with another thread on the same subject/topic.
    Please read the whole thread above.

Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Dr. S.Malhotra
    Blog Entries

Re: Time limit of 20 years u/s 8(3) of RTI Act

s.8(1) (a - j ) relates to categories of information exempted from disclosure .
    S.8(3) prescribes that any information which is more than 20 years old (from date of request ) is to be provided , but this will not apply to s.8(1) (a , c , i ) . that is , provisions of s.8(1) (a , c , i ) will still sustain .
    The period of 20 years - it will be decided by central govt in case of any dispute .

Name:
    Prashant Uikey
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Your post has been merged with another thread on the same subject/topic.
    Please read the whole thread above.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.s.malhotra View Post
    s.8(1) (a - j ) relates to categories of information exempted from disclosure .
    S.8(3) prescribes that any information which is more than 20 years old (from date of request ) is to be provided , but this will not apply to s.8(1) (a , c , i ) . that is , provisions of s.8(1) (a , c , i ) will still sustain .
    The period of 20 years - it will be decided by central govt in case of any dispute .
    I need to have plan copy of my building which was constructed on 1986, whic is approx 25 years back. i had approached the concerned dept directly, but they say that they r unable to locate the record. Do you think that RTI Act may be usefull in finding that plan copy????

Name:
    Dr. S.Malhotra
    Blog Entries

Re: Old records

you may yourself conduct Inspection of records by submitting RTI request , you may be able to locate it .

Sir,

Then I think Sec.8(3) is redundant. I request this may be discussed with the forum members.

6. Re: Old records

Limitation of 20 years mentioned in S.8(3) is with regard to information exempted. That means, any information exempted under S.8 excluding those falling under S.8(1)(a)(c) and (i) are required to be disclosed after 20 years.

Otherwise, there is no time limit for seeking / supplying records so long as such records are retained and available with public authority.

It is better to ascertain the Record Retention Schedule of the public authority concerned, to examine whether record in question is available with public authority.
    Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

How old records can be sought in RTI?

How old records can be sought in RTI? Often it has been seen that to harass officials, RTI queries are made for 7-8 years old records covering plethora of activities so that the officials becomes burdened with the query reply process.

8. Re: How old records can be sought in RTI?

Dear Member

Any old info/record can be sought under RTI & applicant is entitled (sub to provisions of sec 8 & 9)to get it if it is HELD. Office records are weeded out after certain fixed period & if weeded out, applicant be informed accordingly. RTI cannot be MISUSED as it has enough provisions to deal with the same. Please refer Sec 8 & 9 of the RTI act.

regards

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast