Raveena
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    360 Post(s)

Re: How old records can be sought in RTI?

I suppose you are from a public authority. There is no time limit as far as records are concerned. Records of any period can be sought. Records exempted under Sec-8 & 9 are also to be disclosed after 20 years. You must frame a Record Retention Schedule (RRC for short), if already not available. In GoI, such a schedule exists. Based on this RRC, you may distroy all such records which are outlived its normal retention period as per RRC, of course excluding those involved in Court Cases, Deptl Proceedings or Arbitrations etc. Procedure for weeding out old records should be followed and details of records distroyed should be maintained.

If the information sought disproportionately divert the resources of your Public Authoirty or would be detimental to the safety of preservation of the record in question, you can ask the applicant to inspect the records and identify specific information, copy of which can be supplied to applicant. (Ref Sec-7[9]).

Please remember that under Sec-4, it is obligatory on the part of the Public Authority to maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed and disseminate information to the public.

› Find content similar to: Information requested for records which are 12 years old

Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

timeline of information

Is there any time limit for the information i.e. whether information of 10 yr back/20 yr back can be sought from any govt office.

Name:
    Surendera M. Bhanot
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: timeline of information

No.

But you will get only that information that exists and that can be accessed by PIO.

Name:
    Surendera M. Bhanot
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Information requested for records which are 12 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Satish Gupta View Post
    "I find this very strange. Indexing such voluminous data is very difficult and time consuming. It is also not practicable. "

I think I need to clarify the meaning of "index", in this context. The court in USA have ordered the PA to make an "index", where the data is large and PA wants to release some, and refuse release of some of the data. The index in this case consists only of name or identification of different files, and brief description of their contents. This is not a comprehensive index of all words used in the files, or anything like what you see in an index of a well indexed textbook.

Satish Gupta
    This provision do exists in RTI Act in India too in the form of Section 4(1)

Section 4. (1) Every public authority shall—
    a) maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed in a manner and the form which facilitates the right to information under this Act and ensure that all records that are appropriate to be computerised are, within a reasonable time and subject to availability of resources, computerised and connected through a network all over the country on different systems so that access to such records is facilitated;

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nomination Award Rti period

Which period's Of information Can I get through RTI 2005

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Rti period

Quote Originally Posted by mozidkhn View Post
    Which period's Of information Can I get through RTI 2005
    Your query has been merged here. Please go through the earlier discussions on the subject.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456