Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: Can I get the copies of my own letter from CPIO?

Dear Rakatkam
    RTI does not require reason for information. Further, if the applicant cannot keep the information safe Govt cannot be used as storage and retrieving place. The objecting of RTI is to promote transparency and efficiency and preserve limited fiscal resource.
    The judgment which Kushal has given and notes by snmoorhty clarifies the point.

› Find content similar to: Can I get the copies of my own letter from CPIO?

RTI India Network Staff Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maneesh View Post
    Dear Rakatkam
    RTI does not require reason for information. Further, if the applicant cannot keep the information safe Govt cannot be used as storage and retrieving place. The objecting of RTI is to promote transparency and efficiency and preserve limited fiscal resource.
    The judgment which Kushal has given and notes by snmoorhty clarifies the point.
    Hello every body,

In the above circumstance, I guess the person who wants copies or contents of documents he has submitted with the PA, he may do so by requesting a family member or a friend to file an RTI application seeking information on the subject [he may or may not be able to get the contents of the letter, but he would be able to know, if such and such person has submitted such and such document and what is the contents of such an such document etc ect.... I'm not sure how ethical or fruitful the move would be, but surely worth a try in an environment where ethics has taken a back seat.

Sunaabh

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

If getting copy of your own letter is so vital there is a way out. Let a third person ask for copy of your letter from the same PIO. I don't think that the PIO can refuce it especially you are in possession of documentary proof of delivering your application to that PIO. In case the PIO drag in the third party clause, you may say that you have no objection. I think it should work.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    If getting copy of your own letter is so vital there is a way out. Let a third person ask for copy of your letter from the same PIO. I don't think that the PIO can refuce it especially you are in possession of documentary proof of delivering your application to that PIO. In case the PIO drag in the third party clause, you may say that you have no objection. I think it should work.
    If someone wants to do it this way, then attach the letter of "no objection" from the third party to the initial application itself. That will speed up matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

On the other hand, I think any reply received by one applicant from PIO, may be used by some dfferent applicants and it may be continued also. As once one applicant quoted some points from other applicant's information , obtained from PIO was used for further query; and the same PIO replied of the subsequent queries of second applicant.

Name:
    vijendra singh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

All sirs, i think applicant can demand any info [including letter written by him] . the PIO can't deny any info under his control. If letter was lost/ torn/ burnt by somebody in applicant's house ,who will be criminal then? RTI Act never says that info in applicant' handwriting will be denied under sec.8or 9. hence why PIO can refuse any info even if that was written by the applicant. My PIO supplied me letters written by me while I wanted ' action taken notes/letters' .Pl note that info means info[writer is irrelevant ]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Dear Vijendra,
    The judgment is to be applied on case to case basis. Many PIO may be providing the letter.
    The preamble of RTI list improve efficiency as one of the goal. You can imagine the man power used to retrieve a letter and then send in RTI reply. Most of the Govt (Center & State) are far away from Computerisation of all records. Though, it should be done as per RTI.
    RTI India Network Staff Member

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

The best way is to ask for what ever U want from PIO. Let PIO refuse it. What is the harm in asking? If U donot ask U do not get, but if U ask U MAY get. I have always raised all the relevant questions without caring for whether it is covered under RTI or not or decision of CIC/Courts etc. PIOs do give information as they are also not well informed of the nity-gity of the act and decisions. It is only if and when the info is denied, we should search and quote CIC decisions/Court judgements in appeal to get the info.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast