Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Charges for the scanned copies

I want an information in the scanned format on the CD what charges I have to Pay.
    Only Rs. 50/- for the CD
    or
    Rs 50/- for the Cd plus charges for the total pages included in the CD.
    i.e, Rs. 50+ (Rs. 2/- * No. of pages).

› Find content similar to: Charges for the scanned copies

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

The Law states that the actual cost should be charged, but the concerned CPIO will inform you how much should be deposited. The law has given flexibility for fixing the rate to each organization.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

In my view charges for information provided in CDs is Rs. 50.
    In this case the information is originally not available in digital format therefore the demand of Scanning Charges appears to be in spirit with RTI - Regulation of Fee and Cost Rules, 2005

http://persmin.nic.in/RTI/circulars/FeeCostRTI.pdf
    Last edited by maneesh; 13-12-06 at 04:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I found this at RTI India itself

http://www.rtiindia.org/download/p13...1/p13_fileid/5

However, scanning an article will divulge the public resource, so it might not be provided, instead printed form be supplied. The matter I know is that, if the information is available in computer generated form, then it has to be supplied as CD. It's not in spirit with CIC decisions, which says that it should be provided in the form in which it is available and cannot be generated. Thus scanning and then supplying the information is not workable. So Maneesh, I think point of scanning doesnot arise.

If he really needs the CD copy after scanning, he can actually get a photocopy which will atleast save 50/- and then get it scanned. I think there is not need of application of Fees rules here. Simple.

I agree with Kushal, that the PIO are empowered to decide about the rate of photocopy himself that is actual
    Last edited by anu; 13-12-06 at 06:21 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

That is correct in my view too! If the information is not online, why should the public authority get that scanned. Further, you can get the information and get it scanned which might only cost you energy than money

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Charges for the scanned copies

To prevail the originality of the documents(Word /excel/ppt or other documents), in my opinion it must be provided in PDF (with PDF writer installed and instead of Printer the filed outpout come as PDF as most of you aware). This will help to retain originality and misuse with the contents in anyway.
    Also the departments should also publish the RTI replies online(Public information materials), so that repeat of application could be avoided. this would also help the new applicant to pickup precise question if earlier one diplomatically answered. Some of the RTI replies in NCT Delhi govt posted on their website. I hope other govt and agencies should follow this pattern.
    Thanks, Rejimon CK, Dwarka, ND-77.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anu View Post
    It's not in spirit with CIC decisions, which says that it should be provided in the form in which it is available and cannot be generated. Thus scanning and then supplying the information is not workable. So Maneesh, I think point of scanning doesnot arise.

I agree with Kushal, that the PIO are empowered to decide about the rate of photocopy himself that is actual
    Most CIC decisions are based on the case facts laid down before them. If the appellant did not press his point properly, CIC cannot step out of its jurisdictions in taking his decision.

Already several Government Orders (since 1993) are in place which required the Public Authority to digitize all public record. Subsequent rules also made it mandatory for them to preserve all records in digital format for easy retrieval. Looks like some of the members posting on this list have forgotten egovernance. A look at Section 4 of the RTI Act would also add weight behind this clause.

PIO cannot escape the part on manpower and resources escape route. If the cost of photocopy exceeds the cost of CD i.e. Rs.50/- then demand for information on CD. If the PIO raises any objection, please post his comments here. List members would provide you a solution.

As far as possible try to be reasonable with the PIO. Dont insist on scanned images of attendance musters, car requisitions etc. Treat him with respect like you would to a friend and not like a photocopy operator. If you reason with him, that scanned images would also save him time for easy retrieval, save more trees and also help him provide information faster to subsequent RTI Application, I bet he will co-operate with you every time.

Best wishes

Manoj

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

I feel that information should be provided in the form it is available.
    If the information asked for is in written/printed/typed form, it can be given as a photocoy.
    If it is in digital form, then the CD is a more appropriate format.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast