Topic Identifier

Thread: RTI Application Fee should be uniform?

1. RTI Application Fee should be uniform?

I had applied for certain information to the PIO, The University of Burdwan, West Bengal along with a postal order worth Rs.10/- as the application fee. After few days I received back the postal order with a note that the RTI Application should be sent in the proper procedure as laid down in their website The University of Burdwan. Upon visiting the website I found the RTI Application amount to be Rs.50/- , mode of payment being demand draft or banker’s cheque.
    Let me know whether the RTI Application fee should be uniform everywhere in a particular state or may vary from organization to organization as happened in this case.

Last edited by linardni; 22-11-07 at 08:34 PM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: RTI Application Fee should be uniform?

Section 27(1) of the act gives the "appropriate government" the power to:

1.The appropriate Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, make rules to carry out the provisions of this Act.

Further, the Govt. of West Bengal has issued a notification
    No. I 57-PAR (AR} dated 10th March 2006 framing the rules under this section (West Bengal Information Commission) which specify the application fee as Rs 10.00 for applications under Section 6(1),

As per the website of University of Burdwan, "The University of Burdwan was established under West Bengal Act XXIX of 1959 as a teaching and affiliating University on 15 June, 1960 with six P.G. Departments & thirty......"

Logically, it seems that the University of Burdwan should follow the same rules as the rest of the State. Having said that, I also want to point out that some High Courts have their own fee structure.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: RTI Application Fee should be uniform?

While going thorugh some of the websites in connection, I also found that the Governor of West Bengal has also issued a notification Nr. No.541-PAR (AR)/O/3M-29/2005 Pt, VillA, dated 29th August, 2006 exempting certain organisations under Section 24(4) of the RTI Act. (https://wbic.gov.in/Notifications/november1006.pdf).
    In this list item 1(A)(4) is: CBI investigation – handling over of cases,
    But CBI itself is not exempted in the central list. Does that mean that if the information cannot be got from the State Govt., it can be obtained directly from CBI under the Central act ?

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android