Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deficient application, can the PIO reject it!

1. deficient application, can the PIO reject it!

If I submit an application for information, but is deficient in asking or incomplete, should the information Officer call for better particulars or can he straight way reject the application?

2. Since the information Officer is expected to help the applicant in making the application, he should call for better particulars and shall not reject the application. If he rejects the application he is deemed to have rendered service which is deficient.

3. Thanks Kushal

4. This is really important as many of our's applications are rejected because of this. I wonder if this is known to PIO's?

5. A very valid doubt indeed. I think we have a twin-task before us in the matter of RTI. We have to educate the general public about their rights and also the officials about their duties and responsibilities.

6. Yes, indeed. Once we are confidant of our support and community support and also are through with final release of RTI India many of the Officers are going to join us. Many of the Officer's approach me outside the purview of this portal and I had not insisted them to get the answer here as of now.
    Hopefully, this thread at that time would work as a reference point.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    A very valid doubt indeed. I think we have a twin-task before us in the matter of RTI. We have to educate the general public about their rights and also the officials about their duties and responsibilities.
    Along with that we should also try to alleviate the fear from the minds of the officials as many times the infomration is denied in such cases when question is not right as they think this may leads to more problems if they give correct information.

The environemnt of fear will always force officials to resort to such methods when the application is deficient.

8. Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    This is really important as many of our's applications are rejected because of this. I wonder if this is known to PIO's?
    You have not mentioned, on what grounds the PIO has rejected your applications. There are very few grounds for the PIO to reject any RTI Application, made in good faith. He is supposed to act diligently while dealing with any such application.

If the ground are vague or he did it on purpose, you can lodge a complain with the CIC. The erring PIO can be penalized under Section 20. This would work, only if your complain to the CIC is drafted well and to the point.

However, I would recommend that it would be better to phrase out our queries in the original application properly. Submit the application any good PIO in a particular Deptt whom we know, with a request to forward this application to the PIO of the concerned Deptt. from whom we need the information. A lot of problems can be solved at this level.

Manoj Pai
    Ahmedabad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast