Thread: Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month

Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month

As many as 37.1 lakh cases were pending in India's 21 high courts as of June 30, 2007.

On the same day, 2.5 crore cases were pending in lower courts.

Of the 792 posts of judges sanctioned for high courts, 206 are vacant. Of the sanctioned strength of 15,399 judges in lower courts, 3,031 are vacant.

NEW DELHI: People spend a lifetime in courts. Cases often take more than a decade to be decided. The judges are overworked, the infrastructure is shabby and the judicial system is creaking at several levels, especially in subordinate courts. Judiciary — the one institution that still commands the people's respect — is straining to deliver justice.

Who is responsible for this? Is it the judiciary or the government? TOI took a close look at different aspects of the judicial system and found that while there might be a modicum of truth in the popular refrain of courts not working to their potential, the bulk of the blame for unfilled lower court posts and the creaky infrastructure lies with the government.

Not just that, the government is also responsible for fixing pathetically low salaries for judges. It starts at Rs 9,000 per month for judicial magistrates and goes up to all of Rs 35,000 for the Chief Justice of India. If the best legal talent doesn't want to join the judiciary, it's hardly surprising. And if there's corruption in the courts, it is not surprising either.

TOI would like the salaries to be much higher to ensure an efficient and corruption-free judiciary. It worked out a model in which judges would get a respectable salary and it hiked the number of judges to the level required to clear the backlog within two years, and found the additional cost would be Rs 1,426 crore (see Times View). This works out to Re 1 per Indian per month — a small price to ensure quality and timely justice.

The government, however, has simply not focused on how to pull the judiciary out of the mess. Each passing year, Parliament and state assemblies pass more and more laws, yet no one in government appears to give thought to the obvious — that the number of judges should be increased to cope with increased number of litigants and that retraining of judges in new laws should be mandatory.

Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month-India-The Times of India

Re: Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month

I may expect transparency and accountability in our country after some days, month or year or it will take decades or I have to left the idea of transparency and accountability. Actually what diagnosis you presented may nearer to correct but as per my knowledge actual number of cases is less what it is intimated by sources. So many fake cases are also included in this. If judiciary want to be accoutable with huminity they may close so many fake cases.

3. Re: Timely justice at Re 1 per head per month

The system has couched some "words" to shield the enefficient officials.They transfer honest employees for "administrative" reasons.
    Things will take time,at least the RTI act has compelled them to speak.My employer had to
    make some letters in back date to justify their acts and ommissions,although I am facing termination or other major penalty in the form of disciplnary proceedings for working against the Co./unauthorised absence because of my continuous RTI applications.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android