Murgie Krishnan
    Blog Entries
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    5 Post(s)

SEBI and FII data -- may need help relating to final hearing.

This is related to the thread on my request to SEBI for FII data (

I've just received the attached Notice of Hearing which asks me to be in Bombay at 10.30am on Wed, April 30, 2008, for the final hearing. (Given the delay that is evident from the CIC website, I suspect that subject matter has something to do with this relatively short lag since filing my appeal.)

I am writing to ask for help I may need from someone in Bombay, who may also have an interest in the same matter, in case I am unable to attend the hearing myself. Since the SEBI officials are located in Bombay, and I had said in an earlier email I could be in Bombay in late April, they've scheduled the hearing for 11am, on Wed, April 30, 2008, through videoconference at the NIC site in Bombay.

Even if I do come home in late April I have to get back to to the US to teach by April 29, so I've asked for a reconsideration of the date. If for some reason CIC cannot reschedule -- and they are so overburdened right now I can't blame them -- I will need to find a proxy to be present in my place. To be prepared for that I am writing to as many people as I can to find someone who will have the time and the interest to attend a hearing at 10.30am on April 30, 2008, in Bombay.

An academic who is also hungry for the same FII data would be ideal. But the matter itself is certainly not rocket science, the facts are all very elementary, and even someone merely sympathetic to academic research, and who can make some time will do. The matter does not require a lawyer or a journalist -- whatever understanding of the RTI Act 2005 is needed for this matter I am sure I can provide (and this site can help many times more). In case you can think of a name of someone who may be able and willing to help, please let me know. Remember, once the FII data is available, it is available to all. (The history of the matter viewed from my end -- my initial request, SEBI's denial, my appeal, SEBI's subsequent denial, and my appeal filed with the CIC -- is now public information, and available on this website on the original thread referenced above.) Any other ideas, comments, suggestions, welcome. Best,

---------- Forwarded message ----------
    Date: Dec 4, 2007 8:13 AM
    Subject: Re: Hearing through Video Conferencing on 30.4.2008 at 11:00 AM
    To: DC Singh

Dear Shri DC Singh:

Ref -- Case No. CIC/AT/A/2007/01251

On Wed, April 30, 2008, it is not feasible for me to be in Bombay, as I will have to be back in the US by April 29, to teach. The previous week, April 21-25, 2008, will be feasible, if I have to be in Bombay.

On Wed, April 30, 11am will be 1.30am for me here in NJ the US. I CAN participate from home (through video over IP using software like SKYPE, which will however require that at the other end appropriate arrangements are made).

Please let me know if you can consider some alternative to the arrangement stipulated in your notice of hearing. Else can I try and be represented by someone else on my behalf at this hearing through NIC in Bombay at 11am on April 30 in Bombay? (Since SEBI did not give me any opportunity to be heard even during the 1st appeal, despite my pleading for one, I am very keen to be present at a hearing myself at least now, so this alternative is LESS preferred. )

Please let me know what you can do with respect to the date of the hearing.

I am very happy you have requested comments in advance on my appeal from the CPIO and Appellate Authority at SEBI, and directed them to furnish me a copy as well. Whether you will be able to monitor (before the hearing) if they do really send me a copy is a matter of some concern to me. I plan to send you email 3 weeks from now telling you if I have received any comments from SEBI on my appeal.

Thank you for your time and attention. Best,

Murgie Krishnan

On Dec 4, 2007 6:30 AM, DC Singh wrote:
    Dear Mr. Murugappa (Murgie) Krishnan,

This has reference to your e.mail dated 29.11.2007. The hearing in case
    no. CIC/AT/A/2007/01251 has been fixed through Video Conferencing on
    30.4.2008 at 11:00 AM. Copy of notice is attached.

D.C. Singh.

› Find content similar to: SEBI and FII data -- may need help relating to final hearing.

Attached Files Attached Files

lost17934 Guest

Re: SEBI and FII data -- may need help relating to final hearing.

thanx fot the info mate