Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oral Request?

1. Yes, that is true. No oral request can be entertained. Even though I donot know about the rule, but my common sense tells me that everything should be in writing.

2. Re: Oral Request?

sir, there is simply no place for oral requests as far as any legal activity is concerned and RTI act is no exception; if you make oral request in person, the PIO shall assist you to put down your queries in writing and that is mandated by the act itself. telephonic requests for information are not acceptable in law.

Name:
    M. Rafique Rajput
    Blog Entries

Re: Oral Request?

Quote Originally Posted by jeevan View Post
    Well I am a learned man and I could write any application like this post and would never require help of section 5 and 6 of RTI

My point was simply: "weather I can make a telephonic request or by simply asking the CPIO about the information, without actually writing down"?
    You can make a request on phone if in Bihar. But not in other states.
    You can send request on jankari call center if you want information in Bihar.

The South Asian: Bihar Government Leads Right to Information

Rajput

4. Re: Oral Request?

instead of asking the CPIO [who gathers information from various sources and transmits it] you may speak directly to the office super or the section clerk in charge of the matter. if not sensitive, these people generally part with information. if you speak to the PIO, he would have to charge for giving information and then writing becomes necessary.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Oral Request?

Quote Originally Posted by snkmoorthy View Post
    instead of asking the CPIO [who gathers information from various sources and transmits it] you may speak directly to the office super or the section clerk in charge of the matter. if not sensitive, these people generally part with information. if you speak to the PIO, he would have to charge for giving information and then writing becomes necessary.
    Because the officer or the section clerks were not giving information upon being asked, the RTI Act was promulgated in the first place !

6. Re: Oral Request?

PIO will help you reduce your request in writing. Only oral request will not work
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

7. Re: Oral Request?

karira sir, you are correct; rti act came into being because of the reluctance of govt. institutions to give info; but occasionally one comes across a good natured person who is ready to reply to simple queries made orally. that is what i wanted to convey in my post.

8. Re: Oral Request?

Sec 6(1) clearly said that request for information is to be made "in writing or through electronic means" so oral request is clearly ruled out.
    The proviso to this section specifies that where request cannot be made in writing the PIO has to provide reasonable assistance for request to be reduced in writing. However this is one idealistic provision of the act which is hardly being implemented as firstly there is no proof of oral request and secondly there is no penalty for its violation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android