Topic Identifier

Thread: Poor response of RTI activities

1. Poor response of RTI activities

Inaction and ill action of a PIO, West Bengal

SPIO of Co operation Department, West Bengal was requested by SIC to provide information in connection with RTI applications within the scheduled time, in April, 2005. But he did not send any information with respect to the following 5 applications for a period of more than 6 months and one application for more than 5 months. The SAPIO of that Dept. sent a totally irrelevant reply to some query. ( as on 10/12/2007). Is there any possibility of changing the situation and how it is possible ?

Date of submission
    Steps taken by the applicant.
    Status
    Remarks
    1.10/5/07
    1st appeal-06/7/07
    2nd appeal-06/9/07

SIC asked PIO for his comments within 15 days on 13.09.07, but which is yet to receive.
    No information received from PIO
    16/5/07
    1st appeal-20/6/07
    Complaint sent to SIC on 26/10/07
    SAPIO, Coop Dept. sent the application to the Co op Dirctt. on 11/07/07
    No information received from SPIO
    3. 23/05/07
    No correspondence

24/05/07 (Vigilance Comn. sent to Co op Dept,)
    1st appeal on 12/07/07& complaint submitted on 11/10
    Vigilance Dept. sent the application to the Co op. Dept. on 25/05/07 & SIC asked clarification of PIO on 24/10/07
    25/05/05 (P &AR sent to Co op Dept.
    0n 31/05/07
    1st appeal 09/07/07(P&AR0
    06/08/07 (Co op Dept.) 2nd appeal
    Complaint sent to SIC- 23/11/07
    A totally irrelevant reply of only one query sent by SAPIO, Coop Dept on 22/06/07
    SIC asked comments from PIO on 20/09/07
    SPIO, P & AR Dept. sent reply of two queries and requested SPIO, Co operation Dept to furnish information for five queries, but yet to receive any
    26/06/07 (Vigilance Comn. Sent Co op dept on 28/06/07)

No Communication received from SPIO,
    Co Op Department.

Re: Poor response of RTI activities

you can send reminders every week to sic/pio/ aa etc

> you can send reminders every week to sic/pio/ aa etc

There's no such provision under the Act for sending reminders. Once the 30 days deadline is over you should go for a complaint u/s 18.

2/3 reminders are OK. But repeated reminders should be avoided. If the PIO/FAA is so adamant he will never respond even with 10 or more reminders.

Proof of these reminders can be used at a later date to prove the seriousness of the Info Seeker if the matter ever goes to 2nd Appeal stage.

Otherwise ask someone else to file a similar RTI to the Same PIO.

4. Re: Poor response of RTI activities

Quote Originally Posted by sidmis View Post
    > you can send reminders every week to sic/pio/ aa etc

Proof of these reminders can be used at a later date to prove the seriousness of the Info Seeker if the matter ever goes to 2nd Appeal stage.
    The post talks about the SIC having asked the respondents to provide para wise comments etc. which has been ignored by the PIO. When the PIO is not bothered by the communications from the SIC, what help would reminders from the Applicant serve?

The only option available would be to approach the high court.

Manoj

Sorry, Manoj ; I counter yr advice . If the applicant is not rich enough, capable to spend Rs 40000 in high court ; how can he put his case in high court ? In other case , info may be of lesser value , say Rs.2000. Hence only 0.5 % of info seekers have capacity of going in HIGH Courts . Also after very long time when case will be decided in High court , most probably the required info will be of 'no value' . Hence ,info comissioners's decisions MUST be fairmost so that fingers cannot be raised on those. I think if I.Cs. are allowed & pressed to work diligently , honestly ;then no other reform will be required in RTI.; then pio also will have to work fast & honestly ; then 2nd appeals will be fewer ; then applicants will be getting info in 1 week & without tortures.

6. Re: Poor response of RTI activities

deqar abhijit i would like to file an RTI regarding recruitment process of cooperative service commission , can you please suggest me to whom i need to address it ?

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android