Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

It has now become a fashion for the SIC/ICs to allege on RTI Activists that they are misusing the RTI Act. Almost all the Press Conferences and public speeches of these "Wise Men" end up with a sermon to that effect as if 'mis use of ' RTI Act is the greatest obstacle in the way of implementing the RTI Act. I fail to understand as to how an Activist can mis-use the Act. He can only request for an information and that too by paying Rs.10/- and other administrative expenses including speed post/registred post charges. If he is not entitled to get it as per the Act, the PIO, AA and the SIC have all the powers to deny it declaring that he is not entitled for that information quotting provisions of the Act. They are unable to do it because there is no such provision. All they want to convey to the public is that they are trying their best to implement the Act but the RTI Activists are not allowing them to do so. The most interesting part is that these " Wise Men" leave the hall immediately after their sermons giving no opportunity to the public to seek their clarification. Of cource our Media do their service by promptly publishing it though the Media is not aware of wisdom/opinion or existance of a tribe called RTI Activists. Recently I had come across another term used by the "Wise Men" - "VEXATIOUS " least realising that every criminal laws are boud to be vexatious to the delinquent and an honest, law-abiding public servant does not get annoyed in disclosing the truth.

2. Re: Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

Respected Colonel Sir,
    You are absolutely correct. I think this problem is surfacing due to wrong appointments to the Information Commissions. Ss 12 & 15 provides for the appointment of the ICs from various fields, but the Information Commissions are being hijacked by a single group i.e. Bureaucrats, who have been responsible for this environment of secrecy. If the ICs are appointed from the various fields provided under the Act, the aforesaid problem may not be there. I do not mean to say that all the bureaucrats are of same kind, but it is to see that how many nice bureaucrats, who are honest and transparent in their working, have been able to make it to these bodies.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

vashistvivek,

Now that you have brought up this subject of CIC and SIC appointments, I did a analysis on appointment of bureaucrats in some states and following is the outcome:

CIC/SCIC IC's Nos. IC's Ex Bureaucrats

Centre Yes 4 All 4
    Andhra Pradesh Yes 3 None
    Assam Yes 1 1
    Bihar Ex-Judge 2 All
    Chattisgarh None appointed 1 1
    Goa ?? ?? ??
    Gujarat ?? ?? ??
    Haryana Yes 1 1
    HP ?? ?? ??
    Karnataka Yes 2 2
    Kerala Yes 1 1
    MP Yes 0 0
    Maharashtra Yes 3 1 sure , others ??
    Meghalaya ?? ?? ??
    Mizoram ?? ?? ??
    Nagaland Yes 2 None
    Orissa Yes 1 1
    Punjab Yes 8 6
    Sikkim Yes 0 0
    Tamil Nadu Yes 2 2
    Tripura ?? ?? ??
    UP No 5 1
    Uttaranchal ?? ?? ??

Readers can draw their own conclusions

Why public servants will not cry
    They are loosing powers which they are enjoying at present by using a very less mind for public services.
    If Govt will reduce retirement age from 60 to 55 no any Govt servant will make complained for misuse of RTI.
    Due to continously increase in retirement age the public servants are now only trying to get the job of Govt till death and want to live without obstructions and complaining the misuse of RTI.
    So many public servants are not following the constitution and so many times this have come in notice. If we do not have any otherwise intention we may be tranparent and accountable.
    RTI may be used as a tool of survey this may provide us the real lapses availabe in country. Where there is much unsatisfaction we may prepare a plan to resolve the problem.
    RTI may be usefull in reducing the court cases.
    RTI may do justice.
    RTI is really a work of GOD as GOD also want tranparent and accountable working in human being.
    GOD only help those works with transparency.We need tranparent and accountable administration to save the country.

5. Re: Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    vashistvivek,

Now that you have brought up this subject of CIC and SIC appointments, I did a analysis on appointment of bureaucrats in some states and following is the outcome:

CIC/SCIC IC's Nos. IC's Ex Bureaucrats
    I have analysed the position in detail and the outcome is as under:-
    Attached Files Attached Files

6. Re: Public Servants Cry Of ' Misuse Of RTI Act'

Thank you vivek for the great analysis. I have modified the word file into PDF and uploaded it again.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kushal for putting this up in pdf format.

Can you include the information of IC's in the states also....this is given in my post # 3 in this thread. I tried to put it up in proper format but was not successful.
    The information in each column is:

Name of State
    If CIC/SCIC is a ex bureaucrat or not
    How many IC's appointed in the state
    How many of the appointed IC's are ex bureaucrats.

Names have not been given, but I have them with me.

This will give complete picture form web based sources.
    If individual members have more information, the pdf document can be continuously updated.
    Last edited by karira; 24-12-07 at 01:40 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by sngupta View Post
    Why public servants will not cry
    GOD only help those works with transparency.We need tranparent and accountable administration to save the country.
    We need it but there are plenty of persons who don't need it for their own benefit. This is my bitter experience. last 4 years we have been trying for the proper administrative action against one corrupt( so powerful and influencial also) Govt officer, but all in vain. Every one excepting the CM's office ' sincerely ' tried to help that corrupt officer, and as such with the blessings of thsse "GODS" that out and out corrupt person escaped punishment and retired 'unhurt' . We left no stone unterned but became unsuccessful to bring the transparency. I had shared this experience in the thread- "coprrupt officer escaped punishment".
    There are plenty of persons who like so many things excepting transparency. This is the cruel reality of the situation. we can onle expect that--- We shall overcome some day. when that someday will come, we don't know. let it be sooner-

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Thanks Kushal for putting this up in pdf format.

Name of State West Bengal SIC
    If CIC/SCIC is a ex bureaucrat or not -- Certainly , bureaucrat only.
    How many IC's appointed in the state Only one
    How many of the appointed IC's are ex bureaucrats.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android