Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

My favourite Kerala State Information Commission has now got another spurt of confidence to increase harasement of information seekers. When Activists started expossing the Commission's ignorances, the Commission appears started reading the existing Rules and Regulations on RTI Act. To start with he has now read the Kerala State Information Commission (Procedure for Appeal) Rules 2006. Rules 3 of the ibid Rules lay down that " Every appeal to this Commission shall be submitted either in the Form appended to these Rules or in any other format containing the particulars in the above said form " Without realising that this does not empower him to reject second appeals not submitted in the ibid form but can continue to submit it in other format so long as it contain all the information called for in the ibid Form has started rejecting the Second Appeal purely on the ground that the second appeal is not submitted in the form prescribed. The Activists so far could only make the Commission read the Act and Rules but could not make him understand its contents.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    " Every appeal to this Commission shall be submitted either in the Form appended to these Rules or in any other format containing the particulars in the above said form "
    I am sure that there is a copy of these rules in Malayalam.
    Probably that will be more clearer and understood by the SIC.

3. Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

PIO of dept. of co operation, WB Govt has taken a very good stand of not providing any information whatsoever wrt some half a dozen RTI applications submitted to him during May to November, 07. And it is well known fact that SIC is too much soft towards this person, who is dedicated to help one corrupt officer, who also served some corrupt persons in some Co operative societies. The reason of this type of behaviour is best known to them only. Even after 2nd appeals to sic and subsequent reminders sent, not a single response received from this GREAT PIO of (non) cooperation Department. So they have crossed all the limits of creating harassment to the RTI applicants. Are they receiving some special 'increment' or anything else for their this 'commendable' job?

4. Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

dear friends,

In our country many of the information providing authorities are just thinking and seeing all possible ways to not to provide the official information either by way of excemptions, or by way of syaing vague information asked, or by using their influence in the society and they find some ways to harrass applicants.

r a katkam.

5. Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

dear friends,

I came to know that some of the information providing authority are even distroying the information which they feel may become a problem which unfold corrupt practices. I experiencing one problem that the informating providing authority sent some goonda type staff to my residence and i got life threat.

created many problem to one of my family member.

under the circumstances, i feel putting fine on applicant for any reason will make the act only on paper.

ra katkam.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

You people are thinking way ahead and jumping the gun.
    Problems start at the stage of submitting the application itself.

As part of the Campaign for Disclosure under Section 4 (https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/2310-p...4-rti-act.html)
    I went to a PA today to submit 2 RTI Applications. The PA's office is a total of 15 rooms but surprisingly it has 5 CPIO's ! Each CPIO directed me to the other saying it his not his area and I was finally guided to the office of The Secretary. He claimed that since he could not decide to which CPIO did the "subject matter" pertain, he could not accept the application. Finally I had to tell him, OK, do not accept the application but first sign on the copy and state that you will not accept the RTI application and also reminded him that my cellphone had a camera and a voice recorder so that I could have evidence of this.

Total time spent 1 Hr 45 Min to submit a application....all for the PA to disclose under Section 4.....something it has to disclose by law.

7. Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

very good work, Karira Sir. We are encouraged to keep on pushing.

8. Re: How To Harass An Information Seeker ?

raktaktam,
    I had experience of having spio who brings selective records in file , where papers are kept haphazard ly and mostly all the relevant records are missing during inspection of records and notes in files.I had also experience of inspection of files where records of 2005 onwards are kept , when records of 1900-1996 were required, and AA informed that
    ' no record is available in the file' after persuation of about 5 months and spending much time we are being harassed always. This is the normal practice of that dept. They are dedicated to serve the corrupt persons in the society by all means. And even after much persuasion I did not have a single hearing after 2nd appeal/complaint, the reason of which is best known to the SIC.Today I went to the Commission's office where I informed that I did not get any 'reply' whatsoever from SPIO of application dated 10th, 16th,24th May till date and many others, but could get information that they are going to arrange one hearing in future. I don't know if after 2nd appeal , one irrelevant "information' is sent by the SPIO, what would be my naxt step? All the steps were allready exhausted . Then fresh application is to be submitted or once again have to complain to SIC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android