Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

RTI overload: BBMP’s special cells for busy applicants

Reported by Basavaraj Itnal in The New Indian Express

Perhaps Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palike would win the first prize hands down for dealing with maximum number of RTI applications in the state.
    In last two years, it has received more than 6,000 applications under RTI.

BBMP has a maximum number of officers fined by Karnataka Information Commission (KIC) in the state.
    But the civic body is yet to learn to deal with them effectively. In a latest development, commissioner S Subramanya has ordered that special cells be set up in the name of some busy body applicants with their name plates on the premise of Palike.

Right now two such cells are being set up--one in the name of V Bhaskar, editor of now defunct tabloid Mahanagara Palike, and another in the name of Araga Sundaram, editor of another tabloid Rama Ravana.

Subramanya this website's newspaper that these applicants file 10-15 applications every day only to make it impossible for officials to furnish information. Once Palike officials fail to furnish info, these applicants complain to KIC which imposes penalty, he added.

On the other hand, many officials are scared of some of the applicants whose aim is to harass them and not get information. Unscrupulous applicants then exploit this scare among the officials.
    Owners of some buildings had also complained that an RTI applicant had claimed to be a Palike official and demanded bribe. However, Subramanya was not perturbed by these.

He said: “I have known of such instances. But what one does with information given by Palike is not in my control and as far as blackmail tactics by applicants are concerned, the officials should know how to deal with it legally.”

Basavaraj Itnal
    BANGALORE: January 8 2008
    newindpress

› Find content similar to: RTI overload: BBMP’s special cells for busy applicants

Last edited by ganpat1956; 08-01-08 at 08:30 PM.

Name:
    Sidharth
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

BBMP employee alleges harassment

BBMP employee alleges harassment
    As reported in Deccan Chronicle epaper, 20 Sept. 2008

A Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike(BBMP) revenue officer alleged on Friday that a regional tabloid editor who claims to be an RTI activist has been blackmailing her for the past one year.

Gowramma told reporters that she was going public on this to save her honour and put an end to the mental trauma she had been undergoing. "I can't bear this mental and sexual harassment any longer," said the clerk at the revenue office in Yelahanka.

Gowramma alleged that V.S. Alagasundaram, editor of a vernacular tabloid has been blackmailing her for sexual favours and money. She joined as an attender in the BBMP on compassionate grounds after the death of her husband M. Masti.

"I got the job about 10 years ago. Later, after clearing a departmental exam I was made assistant revenue officer. But Alagasundaram has been blackmailing me alleging that I had not cleared the exam. He also claims to have proof to show that I got the posting through illegal ways," said Gowramma. "I lodged complaint at the Ulsoor police stations about six months ago but till date, no action has been initiated," said Gowramma.

She has now sought the help of organisations like the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike and women organisations to help her out.

http://www.dc-epaper.com/DC/DCB/2008/09/20/ArticleHtmls/20_09_2008_003_010.shtml?Mode=1

Name:
    Sidharth
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Re: RTI overload: BBMP’s special cells for busy applicants

AS I understand Sh. V.S. Alagasundaram and Araga Sundaram in the first post could be same.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

If officers are clean and are performing their duties properly, why they should fear or get harassed. They need to be worried if they are doing wrong things, and rightly so.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    Sandeep Baheti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jps50 View Post
    If officers are clean and are performing their duties properly, why they should fear or get harassed. They need to be worried if they are doing wrong things, and rightly so.
    If

------------------------

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android