Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: An open letter from Shailesh Gandhi

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: An open letter from Shailesh Gandhi

That is a very appropriate decision. There is nothing to be ashamed of for being realistic. The salary and other perks attached to the office of the ICs is befitting that post. It is really required unless one is a multi-millionaire having no other worries. The other point is about the volunteers. I dont know how far it would be appropriate to depend on volunteers. They will also have same financial and other compulsions as any one else. The CIC is a public office. Let us recongnise it as it is. Like all public offices, it has to be run by public servants - not by volunteers. Volunteers have no authority to be there. They cannot be shouldered with responsibility without authority. An NGO can be run by volunteers. Not a Govt office or institution. The fallouts will be disastrous.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Welcome to the REAL world !

Name:
    Sandeep Baheti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

With all due respect to Mr Shailesh Gandhi, I think it was extremely foolish on his part to even agree for working without a salary. I can understand that he is passionate about the cause but then he should do what will help him serve the cause in the best possible manner. Lack of financial resources and poor living conditions will only create hardships along his path. Further, living in a hostel will sooner or later invite a threat to his security in which case his work is likely to be affected. The planned way of living by getting help from other individuals or organisations is not sustainable for any person with some degree of self respect.
    Thank God he has realised all this sooner than later.

Name:
    Sunil Ahya
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

My admiration and respect for Mr. Shailesh Gandhi has increased, for taking such a bold decision.

End(goal) justifies the means.

I am looking forward to Mr.Shailesh Gandhi generating intense competition amongst the CIC's/SIC's to perform.
    "If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." -- Confucius

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Like Karira said ,welcome to Real World.The best thing regarding Shailesh Gandhi's appointment is the allocation of Departments;these are the ones which really required CIO of impeccable reputation, thorough knowledge of RTI, and moral courage to clean up multi-layers of corruption ,existing in these departments. He brings with him a sense of urgency and lets hope Delhi's couldn't careless and corrupt ambience do not affect him.
    Last edited by opsharma; 03-10-08 at 11:14 AM.

Name:
    Shailu
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sidmis View Post
    Michchami Dukdam :: Shailesh Gandhi

2nd October, 2008.

Dear Friends,

I am happy to inform all of you that i have started working as a
    Central Information Commissioner from 18th September. I was sworn in at
    4.00pm on that day and started work in my office at 5.00pm. In the Central
    Commission certain departments are allocated to each Commissioner and
    presently the departments allocated to me are all relating to Delhi:
    Secretariat, Directorate of Education GNCT, Directorate of Health and Family
    Welfare-GNCTD, District Sessions Judge, DSSSB, Land and Building
    Department-GNCTD, MCD-GNCTD, and Secretariat of Legislative Assembly. The
    appeals and complaints pending disposal in these are about 1250 and I have
    started listing hearings of cases.

I have a staff of two people provided to me and am depending more on the
    help of volunteers;- which is not really sustainable. Cases have been listed
    for hearing from 6th October, and i am reiterating my commitment to ensure
    that there will be no pendency of cases with me of over 3 months by end of
    March 2009.

There is an admission of a mistake i wish to make. When the names
    were being proposed from Civil society for the position of Central
    Information Commissioner, it was suggested that we should offer to do this
    job without a salary, house, car etc. I had raised the issue about how i
    could survive, and it was suggested that some individuals or organisations
    would take care of these. Without much thought i agreed to this. When i was
    actually selected, i began to think a little carefully about how i would
    stay in Delhi. I felt that taking help from individuals, organisations or
    Corporates would not be right. I then started thinking, i would try and stay
    frugally like Aruna Roy, Nikhil Dey, Jean Dreze, Medha Patkar and other
    activists whose spartan lifestyle i admire.<SCRIPT><!--D(["mb","\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\nI went to Delhi and am presently staying in a Hostel. The actual\u003cbr\u003e\nreality of trying to practise my romanticised frugal living is now staring\u003cbr\u003e\nat me. I went out for dinner with a friend and when i saw the bill of about\u003cbr\u003e\n700 rupees, i cringed internally. Living alone in a hostel, without my wife\u003cbr\u003e\nBharti is becoming difficult emotionally. I had planned to give up the car\u003cbr\u003e\nand start using rickshaws and Public transport. However, i am not able to\u003cbr\u003e\nbring myself to do this. I realised i could do my work much better if i paid\u003cbr\u003e\nthe volunteers who are working with me in the office;- and i cannot do it. I\u003cbr\u003e\nam beginning to worry that trying to continue to live without salary, house\u003cbr\u003e\netc. will affect my performance, and could result in failing for all the\u003cbr\u003e\nwrong reasons. Various friends have also advised me to accept the salary,\u003cbr\u003e\nhouse etc..\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\nI realised that it is my ego which is preventing me from admitting\u003cbr\u003e\nmy mistake. I am therefore apologising for the mistake i had made in stating\u003cbr\u003e\nthat i would work without salary, house etc., and now plan to take these. I\u003cbr\u003e\nhave discussed the matter with Bharti and decided that the salary would be\u003cbr\u003e\nused entirely to facilitate my work and for other RTI related work. I am\u003cbr\u003e\naware that there will be criticism of my step, but feel it is more honest to\u003cbr\u003e\nadmit a mistake.\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\nSome friends will be disappointed by this turnaround. But i need to\u003cbr\u003e\nadmit this mistake, and correct it. I shall fulfill the role of Information\u003cbr\u003e\nCommissioner diligently. I once again apologise to friends who might feel a\u003cbr\u003e\nbetrayal.\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\n-- \u003cbr\u003e\nLove\u003cbr\u003e\nshailesh\u003cbr\u003e\nAll my emails are in Public domain.\u003cbr\u003e\nMera Bharat Mahaan..\u003cbr\u003e\n Nahi Hai,\u003cbr\u003e\nPer Yeh Dosh Mera Hai.\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\n[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003cbr\u003e\n\u003c/p\u003e\n \u003c/div\u003e \n\n \n \u003cspan width\u003d\"1\" style\u003d\"color:white\"\u003e__._,_.___\u003c/span\u003e\n \n \u003cdiv\u003e\n \u003cspan\u003e\n \u003ca href\u003d\"http://in.groups.yahoo.com/group/HumJanenge/message/22180;_ylc\u003dX3oDMTM3YTI0N2txBF9TAzk3NDkwNDgxBGdycElkAzEzNzYxODcwBGdycHNwSWQDMTcyMDA2NDAwNQRtc2dJZAMyMjE4MARzZWMDZnRyBHNsawN2dHBjBHN0aW1lAzEyMjI5NjEyNDYEdHBjSWQDMjIxODA-\" target\u003d\"_blank\" onclick\u003d\"return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)\"\u003e",1]);//--></SCRIPT>

I went to Delhi and am presently staying in a Hostel. The actual
    reality of trying to practise my romanticised frugal living is now staring
    at me. I went out for dinner with a friend and when i saw the bill of about
    700 rupees, i cringed internally. Living alone in a hostel, without my wife
    Bharti is becoming difficult emotionally. I had planned to give up the car
    and start using rickshaws and Public transport. However, i am not able to
    bring myself to do this. I realised i could do my work much better if i paid
    the volunteers who are working with me in the office;- and i cannot do it. I
    am beginning to worry that trying to continue to live without salary, house
    etc. will affect my performance, and could result in failing for all the
    wrong reasons. Various friends have also advised me to accept the salary,
    house etc..

I realised that it is my ego which is preventing me from admitting
    my mistake. I am therefore apologising for the mistake i had made in stating
    that i would work without salary, house etc., and now plan to take these. I
    have discussed the matter with Bharti and decided that the salary would be
    used entirely to facilitate my work and for other RTI related work. I am
    aware that there will be criticism of my step, but feel it is more honest to
    admit a mistake.

Some friends will be disappointed by this turnaround. But i need to
    admit this mistake, and correct it. I shall fulfill the role of Information
    Commissioner diligently. I once again apologise to friends who might feel a
    betrayal.

--
    Love
    shailesh
    All my emails are in Public domain.
    Mera Bharat Mahaan..
    Nahi Hai,
    Per Yeh Dosh Mera Hai.

[AS Posted by IC Shailesh Gandhi, on Gandhi Jayanti in Hum Janenge Group]
    Greetings,
    As RTIindia members and indivduals
    We all are with you.
    ManyThanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android