Thread: massive information

1. massive information

appeal to all members: solution to the following scenario:
    applicant: give me information on a,b, c, d, etc
    Pio: you ask for voluminous info; pl, visit my office and take what you need
    applicant: no i cannot come; tell me how much should I pay for info and i will send it
    pio: ???
    how to proceed further.

2. Re: massive information

This is a recurrent and genuine problem. The public has a right to know, no matter how voluminous the files are, and PIO has limitations as to how many pages he can copy and mail.

One solution that I see is to photograph the massive documents. The PIO is willing to give you the files. You or your agent can go with a digital camera and take photos of the pages. There is a CIC ruling that allows applicant to photograph the documents. With digital photos, the cost is less then photocopy. It takes less time, and can be done in relatively dim lit government offices.

The photos can be uploaded into internet and a lot of people can look and work on the document simultaneously. If this document is of any public interest.

Satish Gupta

P.S. Here is the ruling from CIC about using video to record files.
    CIC/WB/A/2006/OO144 -- 3 Aug,2006

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: massive information

Quote Originally Posted by snkmoorthy View Post
    appeal to all members: solution to the following scenario:
    applicant: give me information on a,b, c, d, etc
    Pio: you ask for voluminous info; pl, visit my office and take what you need
    applicant: no i cannot come; tell me how much should I pay for info and i will send it
    pio: ???
    how to proceed further.
    In case the applicant is not willing to come and inspect the records before asking for copies, then the only option is to give him the total cost alongwith a reasoned order.
    Last edited by karira; 22-01-08 at 11:51 AM.

4. Re: massive information

as follow-on to my post dt.21/1/2008, even to workout the cost, lot of time and effort would be needed. hence the advice to the petitioner to visit my institution and get the required information. Does the Act allow the applicant to refuse my advice and insist on written reply?

Re: massive information

Section 7(9) of the Act provides that an information shall ordinarily be provided in the form in which it is sought unless it would disproportionately divert the resources of the public authority or would be detrimental to the safety or preservation of the record in question. In the instant case it appears that if the information is to be provided in the form in which it is sought viz. photocopy, it would disproportionately divert the resources of your office. Hence quoting this provision of the Act you can request the seeker of information to adopt the alternative way suggested by you or any other mutually agreeable method.
    Last edited by taurus; 23-01-08 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android