Topic Identifier

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: BCCI not covered by RTI law

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: BCCI not covered by RTI law

BCCI Must Come Under RTI's Ambit: Omar Abdullah

CHENNAI: The Board of Cricket for Control in India (BCCI), the richest sports body of India, must come under the ambit of the Right to Information Act (RTI) if it is eligible for tax breaks, former Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir Omar Abdullah said.

Abdullah made the comments on Day II of the ThinkEdu15 Conclave in Chennai on Saturday while conversing with Union MoS of Information and Broadcasting and Olympic silver medallist Rajyavardhan Rathore. “I would support bringing BCCI under the RTI. The BCCI does not pay any taxes too. If it is receiving tax concessions, it must come under the RTI,” Abdullah said. The taxed money could then be distributed to other sports that are in dire need of funds, he added.

Responding to a query on the popularity of cricket affecting other sports, Abdullah noted that other sports could be given priority by the government, but no sport would ever replace cricket as the most popular sport in India. “You can promote, but people must have interest in other sports,” he said.

He said that the quantum of money pumped into sport by the government was not enough.

Rathore lamented on the lack of participation in outdoor sports by the current generation.

“When I recently asked a youngster what games he played, he said video games. When I asked him about running, he said Temple Run. The time spent on the field is reducing,” he said.

Abdullah bemoaned that India wasn’t a sporty nation as yet, but the interest in sports was increasing. “With the increase in academic pressure, sport will be used by children to circumvent studies.” Abdullah cited the example of his own boys, who he said were not the best at studies and were looking at excelling in sports.

Change could be brought by having more sports periods in schools and conducting organised sporting activities during these sessions, Rathore suggested. “I have requested the Human Resource Development Ministry to enable online educational opportunities for sportspersons who might miss their regular lessons while practicing. They should have an Option B,” he said.

Read More: BCCI Must Come Under RTI's Ambit: Omar Abdullah - The New Indian Express

Twitter: @cjkarira

Learned Mr Karira Sir,
    The review petition filed by Haryana Cricket Association is pending before three bench of Hon'ble SIC Haryana and on last hearing on 28th Nov 2014, the decision was reserved.
    Expecting the decision to be in our favour as HCA (Constituate of BCCI) could not effectively counter our arguments.
    Keeping fingers crossed.
    Hd

Sent from RTI INDIA Mobile App

N Srinivasan asked Arun Jaitley to oppose RTI in BCCI: Lalit Modi tweets

Lalit Modi has shared on his twitter feed a 2012 email allegedly written by N Srinivasan to Arun Jaitley in which the then BCCI president had asked the then board vice president and opposition leader in Rajya Sabha to “strongly oppose” a few contentious parts of the National Sports Bill, including the provision to bring the BCCI under the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
    “Dear Arun ji,” wrote Srinivasan, “Last night, Sri ________ informed me that Mr Ajay Maken (who was the sports minister then) had met him to discuss the sports bill. It appears that Mr Maken was insisting on RTI being applicable to BCCI and also that he wanted sportsmen to have representation upto 25% in the Managing Committee of BCCI…As you are aware, apart from our objections to the application of RTI and the representation of sportsmen in the Managing Committee, the constitution of the Appellate Tribunal and the powers given to it is also not at all in the interest of any sports body let alone BCCI.

- See more at: N Srinivasan asked Arun Jaitley to oppose RTI in BCCI: Lalit Modi tweets | The Indian Express

Name:
    MANOJ B. PATEL (Krushnanand)
    Blog Entries

N Srinivasan asked Arun Jaitley to oppose RTI in BCCI: Lalit Modi tweets

Lalit Modi has shared on his twitter feed a 2012 email allegedly written by N Srinivasan to Arun Jaitley in which the then BCCI president had asked the then board vice president and opposition leader in Rajya Sabha to “strongly oppose” a few contentious parts of the National Sports Bill, including the provision to bring the BCCI under the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
    - See more at: N Srinivasan asked Arun Jaitley to oppose RTI in BCCI: Lalit Modi tweets | The Indian Express
    If you do not ask, you do not get.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dear All,

I have a confession to make. I got my most of the material regarding undersigned Complaint against HCA (unit of BCCI) by the now in famous Mr. Lalit Modi through a dear friend.

I do not know whether it was ethical or not but I did take his help in trying to get this Cricket body under transparency law.

thanks for your time,

harinder dhingra

Name:
    MANOJ B. PATEL (Krushnanand)
    Blog Entries

BCCI needs to be accountable and transparent: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal

Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal on Tuesday said that like any other sports federation of the country, the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) also need to be made accountable and transparent in its functioning as according to the apex court of India it is a "public body". Asked Sonowal whether BCCI should be brought under the purview of Right To Information Act, the Sports Minister said: "Let me be very clear...I have been telling time and again that as per the observation of the Supreme Court of India, BCCI is a public body.Read more at;

BCCI needs to be accountable and transparent: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis
    If you do not ask, you do not get.

~ Mahatma Gandhi

Such is the clout of this sports body that decision reserved on 28th Nov 2014 by three member bench of Haryana State Information Commission, the case is being reheard again as "too much time has passed and new developments have to be taken into consideration before deciding the matter"

No prizes for guessing.

hd

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harinder dhingra View Post
    Such is the clout of this sports body that decision reserved on 28th Nov 2014 by three member bench of Haryana State Information Commission, the case is being reheard again as "too much time has passed and new developments have to be taken into consideration before deciding the matter"

No prizes for guessing.

hd
    Forget about SIC, they even have clout in the Judiciary.
    Look at the duration of the cases related to BCCI, which are pending in various HCs.

All it costs is a ticket in a prime enclosure and handshake and photos with some star cricketers.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android