Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Obligation of Public Authorities

There are all kinds of laws including all glorified titled public servants of India. But, who cares?

External links are not allowed on the forum

Last edited by ambrish.p; 13-11-09 at 03:35 PM.

Re: Obligation of Public Authorities

Hi
    Transparency is the word all the babudom fear of and therefore they are always trying to avoid questions. Ego is another thing found abundant in the babus, so, patience is the key word.
    2. Also we are accustomed to the CHALTA HAI attitude. Since our childhood very rarely we have heard of good words about the working of govt departments and they have tried very hard to maintain their name.
    3. All effort are made to save the current day only. Very rarely one finds futuristic approach. Therefore data indexing/ computerisation/ qualified personnel handling RTI will not come very fast. Bureaucracy or anybody resists changes and RTI is one of the fastest moving thing that happened to our lives in recent (or should I say long long) past.
    Things have started moving and hopefully in our lifetime we would find efficient and upright officials ready for scrutiny. So don't loose hope.
    Devashish

DoPT is the nodal agency to implement the RTI Act in all the central govt deptts; & also in the States.
    Therefore we may ask the DoPT, GOI,NDelhi about the names of the deptts/ ministries etc who are not obeying the RTI section 4 in true spirit.
    Moreover, the CIC must also know the names of defaulter deptts.
    We may file RTI request to both these authorities. We may also ask them about the tentative dates of implementing the RTI sec4.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vijendra singh View Post
    DoPT is the nodal agency to implement the RTI Act in all the central govt deptts; & also in the States.
    Therefore we may ask the DoPT, GOI,NDelhi about the names of the deptts/ ministries etc who are not obeying the RTI section 4 in true spirit.
    Moreover, the CIC must also know the names of defaulter deptts.
    We may file RTI request to both these authorities. We may also ask them about the tentative dates of implementing the RTI sec4.
    DoPT is the Nodal Agency only for the departments under the Centre.
    For States, the nodal department is generally the GAD.

Many people have already filed such RTI applications with DoPT and CIC in the past - only to receive a reply stating that there is no such information on "record".

Just do a search on the CIC website.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Pulivarthi Narasimhulu
    Blog Entries

In most of the nationalised banks that I have visited so far there is no board exihibited informing the designation of the Asst. CPIO, CPIO and A.A. To whom I have to complaint against those banks i.e., whether CIC, RBI or the Head office of the concerned bank.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pulivarthi Narasimhulu View Post
    In most of the nationalised banks that I have visited so far there is no board exihibited informing the designation of the Asst. CPIO, CPIO and A.A. To whom I have to complaint against those banks i.e., whether CIC, RBI or the Head office of the concerned bank.
    The best is to complain directly to CIC under Sec 18 of the RTI Act.
    The following threads will be helpful to you:

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/51186-...oyees-sbi.html

If you want to file a RTI application, then you can follow the format available here, after suitable modifications:

RTI to CIC for PIO Name Board and PIO's reply - RTI Directory

The other way is to send a copy of the above mentioned CIC decision to the Chairman of the Bank and ask him directly whether his Bank has implemented it or not. If there is no response, follow it up with a RTI application.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

If u take intelligence/acquired intelligence, the BABUs r among the last in the list. unskilled workers/labors come next. What can u expect from them.

Going through all above posts by our members they have complaints, remarks about not following this section by the so and so Public Authority. Yes I am talking about Section 4 of the Act.

How many of us know the power of this section? I did not know and still I am so called trainee in this field.

Yes, there is a big power in this section. We have a power to make inspection of all the documents given in above list by Kushal ! "That too free of costs!
    I attended a one and half day’s seminar in Pune on RTI. The subject was RTI – Strengthening Participatory Democracy.(The main man behind this is jps50 who forwarded a mail he received) Introduction to the subject was made by Mr. Rajeshwar Dayal, Media Advisor, FES, Delhi and the theme was presented by Ms. Nandani Sahai and was Chaired by Vijay Kuvlekar, SIC Pune Division.
    First two parts of the sessions up to 3-30PM was just like all seminars. With all lecture baji by news paper editors and including SIC.

Interest in the seminar was started when Pune Municipal Commissioner, Mr. Mahesh Zagade took over the mic. Before this he was introduced as a person who started giving information to Public in 1998, when he was in-charge of Sindhudurg District and made information available to public of his own.
    He explained the importance of this section and how it can be used. This was the file inspection under this act. If you do a RTI application and ask for the inspection of any work in this takes a month or in many cases more time. But with a mare request letter under this section you can “see” any file along with noting, remarks, what ever is written in the margins, orders passed etc. etc. Off course I won’t tell every thing because to do this you must know the basic rules of Public Authority under which they functions. I can see members present here have done this and they can explain how to do this. I have made my record open to public on every Monday 3 to 5. Any one can come ask for document and inspect it. But there is no much response from the general public and hardly 20 – 30 people visit from whole in Pune. If I tell you the way in details, you will loose my sleep. He also stressed section 4 is the heart of the Act and told “use it”. He said even you can ask a copy of “that” document off course that won’t be certified. For certified copy you have to follow the whole procedure. He said ‘read’ the section and see which portion of the section is applicable to the information you want and decide your line of action. In his lecture he said at present he is busy in process of accountability of each and every one in the corporation including me. In about 2-3 months you can catch the neck of a culprit because each and every one’s responsibility is being fixed. He told many things in progress of the administration which shall be useful to RTI. This ended the day and the actual application of section 4 was kept for next day.

Next day the focus was how to use this section. This was explained by Mr. Vijay Kumbhar, a RTI activist from Pune. His points were:
    Be specific in your letter of information
    1.) Give a letter in the name of the "Head of the Public Authority" (in case of corporation, it is Municipal Commissioner if you want to inspect a file of some section of the corporation) that this is NOT a file inspection under Section 6. It is inspection of records under Section 4 of records / documents which should have been brought in public domain by the authority; hence this does not require any formal requisition (request) under Section 6.
    2.) Give about 2 days time in your request initially as there shall be resistance from the officers. You have to argue on each and every point of section as no information is made available by the Public Authority as per Sec.4 and hence this inspection is necessary. Once they are accustom to this section then you can just send SMS / Fax / e-mails and then directly go to that dept. for inspection. Unless government officer wishes to contact you provide your full contact information.
    3.) As far as possible give the correct sub-section of Section 4 under which you are demanding inspection of this files.
    4.) Just Xerox the copies you want pay the charges as given in law i.e. 2/- per page and walk away with what you want.

In this case no requisition or application fee is necessary and no fee for the time. All rules are applicable only to inspection under section 6.

He also warned not to go for this inspection alone. Take a lady and some one as witness with you as you don’t know what is that file contains and how volatile that file or information is for some one. He said this much information is sufficient to judge the cases that has happened and can happen.

Then it was a young journalist about 28 who dig a huge data base from Pune Municipal Corporation and made many stories. He explained how he used the rule to dig a particular case or his story. His applications and some novel ideas were really good. He told, I came to know that there is a proposed DP road is added in development plan in Aundh area. He asked for inspection by SMS and went to the concerned office directly. The person there was not ready to give inspection and so he made a call to his boss. His boss instructed him give him the file he want other wise he will take away the whole cup board. He saw a new 80 ft. road added in the map with a remark of an officer going through the Big Botanical Garden cutting 100s of trees. He asked for the Xerox but the condition was very bad. Hence he called a friend from nearby area to come with a photographer and took the colour photo of the map. Surprisingly the road was ending at river and there was no way to cross the river. It was written in hand this is for the proposed bridge from Pimpri Chinchwad Corporation when constructed. When this news hit the paper there was a big roar and the DP road was cancelled.

Conclusion: Use your brain and use section 4. Just don’t complaints Public Authority has not done under this section and we are help less. If they don’t allow this inspection straight complaint to CIC / SIC as the case may be that the inspection of the record and information was not permitted under section 4. They have to take notice of this. One more warning message was given by Bhaskar Prabhu. Keep your all friends and collogues posted as to what you are after and make it public from time to time which will result safety to whistle blowers. Start implementing RTI from your house was his best advice I found.

Lot to tell but can’t express.

Now let us discuss and find the power we have under this SECTION.

I shall be uploading few tips and procedure to do "Inspection" under this from Mr. Kumbhar in a day.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android