Section 24(1) provides that the Act shall not apply to certain intelligence and security
organisations established by the Central Government or any information furnished by such
organisations to the Government.
These intelligence and security organisations have been provided in the box below:
Intelligence and Security Organisations established by the
Central Government exempted from the purview of
The Right to Information Act, 2005
• Intelligence Bureau.
• Research and Analysis Wing of the Cabinet Secretariat.
• Directorate of Revenue Intelligence.
• Central Economic Intelligence Bureau.
• Directorate of Enforcement.
• Narcotics Control Bureau.
• Aviation Research Centre.
• Special Frontier Force.
• Border Security Force.
• Central Reserve Police Force.
• Indo-Tibetan Border Police.
• Central Industrial Security Force.
• National Security Guards.
• Assam Rifles.
• Special Service Bureau.
• Special Branch (CID), Andaman and Nicobar.
• The Crime Branch-C.I.D.-CB, Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
• Special Branch, Lakshadweep Police
Section 24(4) of the Act stipulates that the Act shall not apply to such intelligence and
security organisations established by the State Government, as that Government may,
from time to time, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify.