Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

1. Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

Hi,

I sent a letter under RTI to IT deptt. and the fee was paid thru IPOs. The PIO in his reply has asked for PAN number for making payment credit to central govt. account.

Is it mandatory to quote the PAN number for fee paid for RTI application???

2. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

Hi Puneet,

I had filed two RTI applications with GNIDA, Greater Noida. I paid the RTI fees with the Bankers of GNIDA and had to submit the original challans of the payments made... nothing more...

I don't think it is mandatory to provide your PAN details... does the PIO wants us to believe that one has to be an income tax payer to be eligible to file RTI applications? I guess he is buying time and just trying to deviate the issue...
    Sunaabh

3. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

That is indeed a new thing heard

4. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

how should I proceed... In first reply he said, information could not be shared as this is personal information... when replied back with orders of CIC that information can be shared, He shared only information that no returns has been filed by her. and all other informations asked are not available within office. He has not forwarded the application to correct PIO who can share that information.

also He mentioned the above fact to quote the PAN number..

Now what should be next course of action ???

Regards

Puneet

5. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

PAN Details are not necessary to file RTI Application.

rakatkam

6. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

PAN number is quoted for financial transactions; it is never needed anywhere else; IT officer demanding the PAN number from the rti applicant is unheard of; he is only buying time ; i think a complaint to the CIC should be the next step

7. Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

Quote Originally Posted by puneet.bansal View Post
    Hi,

I sent a letter under RTI to IT deptt. and the fee was paid thru IPOs. The PIO in his reply has asked for PAN number for making payment credit to central govt. account.

Is it mandatory to quote the PAN number for fee paid for RTI application???
    After I had filed the RTI applications, around the time the hearings started, I started getting telephonic calls from various quarters, for eg a software company asking me if the software I was using for word processor was licensed or not.... so much so that I started feeling that the incident was too much to be a coincident. Though I have nothing to prove that the calls may have a link to the person[s] or the PA/ PIO referred to in the RTI applications, from the timings of the calls, I still believe they originated from there.

So in your case the the official asking for your PAN details may have a larger agenda in his mind to trouble you in the near future, so be careful about what you share. Remember one thing, if your inquiry may become a uncomfortable for another person, that person may not take everything lying, he may also be scheming on the sly to make you feel uncomfortable. As it has been rightly said by Moorthyji, you must now approach the CIC

Sunaabh

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Is PAN mandatory for RTI fee thru IPO

PAN number is to be quoted in certain financial transactions as specified by the Income Tax department, from time to time.
    In each such transaction, the maximum amount is clearly defined, exceeding which requires PAN information (for example cash transactions above 50,000 etc..)
    If you application fee is below that limit, no need for the PIO to ask for PAN data.

I suggest that you write a letter to the PIO and aks him to clearly inform you as to under what powers vested in him is he asking for PAN information.
    Ask for relevant certified copies of rules and regulations that empower the PIO to ask for this.
    Ask for reasons under Section 4(1)(d) as to why he is asking you for PAN details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast