5 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)
    1 Post(s)

RTI throws up the truth behind consumer forum appointments

As Reported in ExpressIndia by RAGHAV OHRI, February 11, 2008

Chandigarh, February 10 The Punjab State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission in Sector 22 appears to be enjoying immunity against the guarantee of equal opportunity in the matter of employment to all posts under the State, as enshrined in the Article 14 and 16 of the Constitution of India.

Not feeling the need to advertise in newspapers or inviting candidates from Employment Exchange for vacant posts, the Commission seems to rely more on word of mouth as the medium to advertise.

A reply by the Commission against information demanded by Advocate H C Arora under the Right to Information (RTI) gives an interesting read. Arora had sought information about the medium adopted by the Commission for appointments. The Commission admitted that no advertisements were issued for filling vacant posts rather the applicants understood from 'some reliable sources' about the vacancies.

Explaining the procedure, the Commission replied, "The direct appointment of staff in this Commission is made through the Employment Exchange, which is an approved source of recruitment. A notice is also displayed on the notice board inviting applications from eligible candidates. For clerical posts, the candidates sponsored by Employment Exchange are asked to take a test and candidates who apply in response to the notice displayed on the notice board and for the post of peon/chowkidar (Class-IV), an interview is conducted and suitable candidate is appointed."

The reply went on to say, "All posts in this Commission are temporary and their continuation is accorded by the State Government on year to year basis". On what method does the Commission uses to advertise for the post of Registrar, or for Superintendent, an answer was not given.

In response to this, Arora yet again sought information questioning as to what was the criteria actually followed by the Commission in making the appointments of Bhag Singh and M L Sharma, and sought copies of applications submitted by them to the Commission for appointment, as well as their ages at present.

The Commission, in its letter dated February 6, admitted that no requisition was sent to the Employment Exchange while appointing M L Sharma as Superintendent. It stated, "Considering the fact that the post of Superintendent Grade-II was to be filled up as a stop gap arrangement on contract basis for a period of six months and sufficient numbers of applications were available, no requisition was sent".

From where and which source candidates come to know of vacancies, the same was not disclosed. But the cat is out of the bag on scrutiny of application dated September 22, 2005, submitted by M L Sharma, who stated, "I have come to know from reliable sources that a post of Superintendent Grade-II is lying vacant in the Punjab State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission and I offer myself as a candidate for one of them." Likewise, Bhag Singh, in his application dated October 31, 2007, stated, "I have learnt from some reliable source that a post captioned in the subject is lying vacant in the State Commission. It is my privilege and pleasure to offer my services for the same".

› Find content similar to: RTI throws up the truth behind consumer forum appointments

Blog Entries
    0 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)
    2 Post(s)

Re: RTI throws up the truth behind consumer forum appointments

This is real use of RTI.

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android