Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chandigarh Admin amends RTI Rules, 2005

I am really willing to write an article.I am regular with local papers.I need help from all of you.I have started asking for information of foriegn visits of UT officers and the day the information was out in papers the rate of fee under RTI act were hiked.We need to amke it a moveemnt and force the Chandigarh adminstartion to roll back.

I am there to fight the system and not any person.
    I invite every body from Chandigarh for any guidence regardinfg RTI and civil rihts voilations.

Let us fight the system with a positivity in the mind.
    R K Garg
    M 09872692400

Join me for joining the movement against hike in fee under RTI act

Last edited by Shrawan; 07-05-08 at 07:16 PM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Chandigarh Admin amends RTI Rules, 2005

As reported by Sonika Bhatia in dailypioneer.com on 6 May 2008:
    The Pioneer > Home

UT Admn, social activists spar over hike in RTI fee

The sparring duel between the UT Administration and social activists of Chandigarh on the issue of the hike, effected by the Administrator, who is also the Governor of Punjab, in the RTI fee, is headed for a climax, and may well land in courts.

The Chandigarh Administration had effected five-fold hike in the RTI fee last February, ostensibly with the objective of discouraging non-serious parties from seeking information. The decision attracted instant growls of protests from social activists who tend to describe their fight against the fee hike as a fight between "corrupt bureaucracy" and the "common man."

But the UT Administration is unmoved and seems to be in no mood to relent. Social workers led by Hemant Goswami have been reasoning that the Administrator has no right under Section 27 of the RTI Act to increase the fee arbitrarily.

But an unbending UT Administration thinks otherwise. Speaking to The Pioneer, Advisor to the Administrator Pradip Mehra, said, "In my opinion, the UT Administrator is very much within his rights to increase the RTI fee. And there is no question of rolling back the hike."

Engaged in this battle for the last two months, social activists have been using all kinds of weapons in their arsenal to force the administration to admit its mistake and roll back the notification issued under Section 28 of the RTI Act. They have even moved the offices of the Prime Minister and the Home Minister.

So much so, activists like HC Arora, Hemant Goswami, Vivek Aditya and others have shot off legal notices to the Administrator, contending that in effecting the hike, the UT Administrator has exceeded his powers.

They have found support from none other than Pawan Kumar Bansal, Member of Parliament from Chandigarh, and some other political functionaries who too have written to the Administration to reconsider its decision. But no gainsaying the fact that the Chandigarh Administrator remains adamant and unfazed.

"It would be an unfortunate scenario if an unelected person and a couple of IAS officers grab the powers to overrule the law made by Parliament, defeating its very spirit. It also raises a question about the sanctity of Parliament in this country," remarked Goswami.

Hitender Jain, another social activist, said, "Since UT technically comes under the wings of the Union Home Ministry, it would be amusing to see who calls the shots in the Union Territory, an unelected Administrator or the Parliament acting through the Union Home Ministry?"

When The Pioneer asked the Advisor to the Administrator, if the UT move to increase the RTI fee could stand the scrutiny of law, he was non-committal and said, "I don't know, you have to find it out."

It is learnt that the citizens of Chandigarh are now filing RTI applications directly with the Union Home Ministry which is forwarding them to the Chandigarh Administration under Sections 5 (5) and 6 (3) of the RTI Act.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

"It is learnt that the citizens of Chandigarh are now filing RTI applications directly with the Union Home Ministry which is forwarding them to the Chandigarh Administration under Sections 5 (5) and 6 (3) of the RTI Act."

What ingenious ways "We the people" can think of !

Think Smart, Act Smarter !

As informed earlier CPIO IT of UT administartion had charged Rs 126.00 for a reply saent to me after 49 days.I paid the money and received the information.After wards I applied to Appellate Authority for refund.Now both Appellate Authority and CPIO are stuck as they don't have authority to refund the money cahrged but appellate authority is duty bound to hear the appeal and order an refund as thiese charges were recovered against the provisions.What to do ain such cases.

R K Garg

5. Re: Chandigarh Admin amends RTI Rules, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by R K Garg View Post

Join me for joining the movement against hike in fee under RTI act
    Kindly do not post your contact details over the forums as they are the public forums and accessible to all.

Also we do not support any movement from this website. Kindly read our Disclaimer, and Forum Rules. The content of which I am posting here for reference:
    Forum Rules Point 4

RTI India does not support any campaign against corruption or otherwise nor does any movement against the Government, Organisation, Ministries, Department, Units, Government Officers, Government Servants, or any Official or individual citizen.
    Thank You!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android