C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    43 Post(s)
    13 Thread(s)
    164 Post(s)

Is your realtor cheating you in MSEB’s name?

As reported by Dinesh Thite on on 17 February 2008:
    DNA E-Paper - Daily News & Analysis -Mumbai,India

Is your realtor cheating you in MSEB’s name?
    Woman uses RTI Act to find builder has overcharged her

It came as a big shock to her. A woman who was charged Rs40,000 towards the electricity connection for her flat by the builder later found just one-fourth the sum goes to the state power utility.

The woman who resides at Karve Nagar found this out by filing a Right to Information (RTI) application with the Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL). Her query was how much money did the MSEDCL charge builders to provide power connections to new buildings.

“I had paid Rs40,000 as ‘MSEB charges’ to the builder. I wanted to know how much was really required. When I got a reply to my RTI query, I found the amount to be paid to the MSEDCL for my flat was Rs10,507,” the woman, requesting anonymity, told DNA.

While she had decided “not to fight” with the builder for a refund, she said, the information should be made public.

When purchasing property, buyers are levied what is known as “MSEB charges” by the builder for an authorised electricity connection.

Mukund Vayal, Deputy Manager, Finance and Accounts of MSEDCL, Pune region, told DNA that consumers have to pay charges to get connections as per the 'schedule of charges' decided by MSEDCL on the basis of the order passed by Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission (MERC)."

As per annexure 2 of the commercial circular no. 43 of the MSEDCL regarding 'schedule of charges', the connection charges for new underground connection are only Rs2,000 for single phase with load up to 5kW.

These charges rise to Rs4,000 for single phase with load from 5kW to 10kW. For a three-phase connection, (with motive power between 134 Horse Power to 201 HP), the maximum charge is Rs45,000.

Shantanu Dixit, an energy expert with the voluntary group, PRAYAS, said: 'The charges for electricity connection are site-specific and can be calculated scientifically. But one can be sure that the amount charged by the MSEDCL for connections is much less than what is charged by the builders."

Consumer rights activist Bhimsen Khedkar who works with the Akhil Bharatiya Grahak Panchayat also maintained that "real estate developers do charge much more than what is actually required."

There were no legal provisions under which such a practice could be prevented, Khedkar said. "Creating awareness among consumers is the only
    solution," he said.

› Find content similar to: Is your realtor cheating you in MSEB’s name?

Savera Malhotra
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is your realtor cheating you in MSEB’s name?

Thanks for the info.

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android