Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can I know what advice the cabinet has given to the President?

1. Can I know what advice the cabinet has given to the President?

This is a nice place for getting information regarding right to Information. I had one question as of now:
    Can I know what advice the Cabinet has given to president and also is it possible to know the correspondence between President and Ministry?

2. No. It is only after the decision is made by the cabinet, that you will be able to know. But that too with many riders:
    1. You will get so much material which constitute the basis for the cabinet decision.
    2. If the subject matter relates to matter not permissible to be disclosed otherwise under any provision of law under this Act, the particulars cannot be disclosed to you.

3. You will get so much material which constitute the basis for the cabinet decision.
    What do you mean by this? Does it mean that we cannot have full access to cabinet decision?

4. Yes! The citizen is entitled to know not all what is called the Cabinet Papers but only so much of material which constitute the basis for the cabinet decision.

Re: Can I know what advice the cabinet has given to the President?

Hon'ble member-Whatever information can be sought by legislatures from public authority same information can be sought by citizens under subsection 1 of section 6 of Right to Information Act 2005 from public authority.

Sent from RTI INDIA Mobile App

6. Re: Can I know what advice the cabinet has given to the President?

No. You cannot get the advice given by the Ministers to the President of India, much less under RTI Act. Article-74(2) of the Constitution of India provides that any and what advice was tendered by the Ministers shall not be inquired into. RTI Act cannot override the provisions of Constitution of India.

What is 'cabinet'?. Where is it defined in the Constitution of India?
    Satyameva Jayate सत्यमेव जयते

Those information which can't be denied to parliament or state legislatures shall not be denied to Information seekers under transparency act as quoted in section 8(1) J of Right to Information Act 2005.

Your point of discussion appear to be TRUE but there are CHECKS And BALANCES and we cannot only see RTI Act,2005 and its provisions and what Constitution says is also need to be taken into consideration.What Raveenaji said is Correct to the best of my knowledge.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast