Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Information so gathered, can that be used in court of law?

1. Re: Information so gathered, can that be used in court of law?

Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    I have some reservations over this issue. The law of evidence permits that documents may be proved either by primary or secondary evidence. Sec.65 of the Evidence Act provides for the admissibility of secondary evidence under certain circumstances. In the instant case, eventhough the document obtained under RTI is not a certified copy, if the litigant files a sworn affidavit to the effect that he has obtained the copy of the documents through RTI and that the original is in possession of the party against whom the document is sought to be proved, then what will be the status of admissibility of this uncertified document. If there are any legal practitioners among our members, please clarify on this point.
    Section 6 (2) of the RTI Act clearly read as "An applicant making request for information shall not be required to give any reason for requesting the information or any other personal details except those that may be necessary for contacting him."

Further all such documents received under the RTI Act are considered as public documents Section 74 of the Indian Evidence Act 1872, while certified documents are deemed to be originals under Section 77 of the Indian Evidence Act 1872.

Reading allof the above together, the receiver of documents under RTI ACT can them for any purpose he wants to without any questions being asked.

I am not a legal expert.

2. Re: Information so gathered, can that be used in court of law?

In most of my RTI cases I have obtained 'Satyapit Pratilipi' duly signed by PIO. I do not see any reason why any law will prevent use of such documents until there is some valid opp from opposition. Let the law develop.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Information so gathered, can that be used in court of law?

I have presented documents obtained through RTI as part of a WP in the AP High Court without any problems.

Moreover, I have seen several judgements of the Delhi HC and the Punjab & Haryana HC wherein the judges themselves have suggested to the petitioner to obtain documents through RTI and approach the court once again. The matters under consideration by the court were not related to RTI at all.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

I too fully agree with Mr.Ganpat.The information or copy of letter provided by the PIO has tobe certified copies of documents or records. There is no reason why it should not be used as an evidence. Of cource by mere production of a document obtained through RTI Act or even otherwise does not automatically become a valid piece of evidence in a court case. Such documents has to be PROVED. Proved means someone has to enter into witness stand and produce the document. He can be examined and cross examined and the document has to be marked a evidence.

In the case of documents obtained through RTI, the Opposition Advocate may insist on calling the PIO or even the person who is the custodian of the original document to produce it failing which they may refuce to accept it as evidence. Of cource based on the type of evidence the Judge may give appropriate decision.
    I have a case where the Munsiff has accepted a defendents document without proving despite my repeated pleding against it. Even though there are specific decisions staing that a documnt cannot be admitted in evidence without proving, in my case the decision adverse to me is made by the Munsiff purely based on above unproven document. So everything is possible in our present judicial system.

In the beginning only I must confess,I am not a lawyer,
    also, I gather none of you above are .But I do agree with Karira and Col. on their interpretations and Col for his practical experience fighting RTI cases.The Indian Evidence Act, Sec 65(secondary evidence) and Sec 76(certified copies of public documents) are very clear on admissibility .However, even if common sense dictates that a copy provided by PIO should be admitted as second evidence,it still falls under dictum: "omina praesumuntur rite esse acta" (all acts are presumed to be rightly done). It is a "prima facie" evidence (Sec79-90).

Dear Sirs,
    I have obtained certified copy of the document through RTI,it were sealed & signed by the PIO. So, wonder how it will not be accepted as evidence in the court? Also I came to learnt that, one of our Association member(Of work place),has filed several tribunal cases with the help of these documents.
    Fight for the Right.

7. Re: Information so gathered, can that be used in court of law?

I think certified copies of record obtained under RTI can be relied upon in courts and tribunals. If need be, the seeker of the record can himself produce the same in court/tribunal and declare that the same is obtained through RTI. In extreme cases, PIO or the custodian of the record may be summoned.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Mishra The Great,I think either you didnot read my post or you missed the gist.IT IS ADMISSIBLE as a secondary evidence,there isn't even iota of doubt in that. But it is a prima facie presumption,for your benefit, I quote The Indian Evidence Act,"But though the Courts are directed to draw a presumption in favour of official certificates,it is not a conclusive presumption-it is rebuttable".
    Notwithstanding the nittygritty,semantics and presumptions ,suffice to say that a certifid copy ,from PIO or any other designated public authority,is admissible as secondary evidence in the court of law.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android