Thread: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

1. Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

How do I begin? I thought a visit to the GPO,Anna Salai,Chennai would help me file my first RTI application with ease. I was a bit amused although I felt anguished to see their laid back attitude towards the RTI applicants. The Customer Care (!??!) Cell did not have any clue about how to receive the application and all they could offer me was an advice to visit again when the 'concerned officer' would be back from his leave.

I proceeded to the Head Post Office, Pandy Bazar, T.Nagar hoping that the situation would be different but it wasn't. In fact, the experience was one of a bizarre as I helplessly watched the person in the RTI counter running from one table to another seeking 'guidance from the superiors'.

Eventually, the lady official accepted only the application and Rs.10/- for the application fees as she explained that she doesn't know how to treat the Rs.50/- I wanted to remit for obtaining the information in a CD from the ROC.

I got a postal order for the fees and eventually sent it by Regd.Post. Please bear in mind, both are Major Post offices headed by Sr.Suptdt. of Posts. If this confusion can prevail here, what would be the fate of other small post offices?

I was thinking as I returned home. Are our Post Offices geared up to handle RTI or will they bungle it out miserably.

R.Venugopalan

2. Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

If you are applying to the CPIO of Department of Posts, you need to approach the Manager Customer Care Centre, who is in fact the ACPIO. Next time if you go to the Post Office for applying for information from Department of Posts, do approach him.

In case you are applying for information for Central Ministries department, then ofcourse you need to approach the post Office counter to deposit the requisite fees under ACG- 67 and to hand over the form.

Generally Post offices are doing a great service in so far as RTI is concerned, though a little deviation like more than Rs.10/- might be a new thing to the Chennai PO.

A normal course they are aware is to take RTI application fees of Rs. 10/- and subsequently on direction of CPIO (if required) , to further collect the Photocopy/CD charges.

3. Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

Quote Originally Posted by kushal View Post
    In case you are applying for information for Central Ministries department, then ofcourse you need to approach the post Office counter to deposit the requisite fees under UCG 67 and to hand over the form.
    I think it is ACG - 67 credited under UCR (Unclassified Receipts).

4. Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

I stand corrected, yes it is indeed ACG-67. I have corrected my earlier post also.

5. Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

Thanks for sharing this information. Now that I want to file one, I'll post it directly to Delhi instead of posting it in the post office.

Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

Hello Kushal,

As per information supplied by department of Posts UCR / ACG - 67 are meant only for dept. of post only.

They can't be used for othe PAs.

This document is signed by S. K. Bansal, Director(PG) of Dept. of Post.

Is that right?

Sidharth

7. Re: Chennai Post Offices not geared up for RTI

i also approached the head post office in agra.

they also dont have any idea about it.