Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sports And Games Association

1. Sports And Games Association

I Would Like To Know That Whether District And State Association Of Various Discipline Come Under This Law, If They Are Receiving Funds/grants From Sports Council Of The State

2. Re: Sports And Games Association

the district and state associations generally are run with their own funds raised through donations and sponsorship and subscription by members; hence they may not come under the RTI act; they may even receive occasional grants from the sports council but that does not make them 'public bodies'. unless they are ""substantially"" funded by the sports council or run directly by the sports council, they will not come under RTI. but, the sports council which is run by public funds is a public authority and is susceptible to RTI. any irregularities noted in the state and district association can be tackled through collective action by the right thinking members during the general body meetings of the concerned associations.

3. Re: Sports And Games Association

Quote Originally Posted by snkmoorthy View Post
    the district and state associations generally are run with their own funds raised through donations and sponsorship and subscription by members; hence they may not come under the RTI act; they may even receive occasional grants from the sports council but that does not make them 'public bodies'. unless they are ""substantially"" funded by the sports council or run directly by the sports council, they will not come under RTI. but, the sports council which is run by public funds is a public authority and is susceptible to RTI. any irregularities noted in the state and district association can be tackled through collective action by the right thinking members during the general body meetings of the concerned associations.
    Sir,
    tahbkyou for your reply. But according to the sec 2(h) of RTI any organisation formed under the law is PA. Generally the sports association are registered under Societies registration act and the particular sports association for which i am asking is substantially funded by Sports council. Please give me your opinion is this regard considering the facts given above.
    thank you
    santhosh david

4. Re: Sports And Games Association

Quote Originally Posted by hs_david View Post
    Sir,
    according to the sec 2(h) of RTI any organisation formed under the law is PA. Generally the sports association are registered under Societies registration act and the particular sports association for which i am asking is substantially funded by Sports council. Please give me your opinion is this regard considering the facts given above.
    This is not the correct interpretation of Sec.2(h) of RTI Act.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=499 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=113>
    2.(h) "public authority" means any authority or body or institution of self- government established or constituted—
    (a) by or under the Constitution;
    (b) by any other law made by Parliament;
    (c) by any other law made by State Legislature;
    (d) by notification issued or order made by the appropriate Government,
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    A mere registration under some statute or other does not make an organisation a Public Authority. The organisation in question should have been specifically constituted/established by the law and not merely registered under the law.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

5. Re: Sports And Games Association

ganpat sir's explanation clarifies the issue reg. sec 2 (h) of the RTI act. the queries regarding the associations can be sent to the sports council which is a public body established by law. it may provide some answers to queries regarding associations working under it.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Sports And Games Association

There are innumerable ways to sort them out. Here is one of my way where I had solved the problem. At my place the District Cricket Association has been constructing a Cricket Stadium by their own money. You know that the main interest is to grab the contract. When I had noticed some irregularities, I had contacted the Municipality. As usual they pleded that they have nothing to do with the construction as it is done by the Cricket Association which is an Autonomous body.

I had sought inspection of the entire Municipality file on the Cricket stadium under RTI Act as the land belongs to the Municipality. During the inspection I had found out a memmorandum of understanding(MOU) and involvement of 'Director of Sports and Youth Affairs of the State Government in signing the MOU.. I had started asking all the inconvenient informations from the Municipality as well as from the "PIO of the Directorate of Sports and Youth Affairs, Trivandrum". It appeared that they were waiting for an opportunity to enter the field. My initiative was a God send opportunity to them.. They are making full use of the opportunity and started sending Technical Teams for inspection. etc., etc., Anyway the cituation is absolutely under control. In fact I had used the "life and liberty clause" telling that unless the irregular construction of the foundation is checked forthwith the foundation work will be covered and will not be able to check later. If it is left as such it is likely to collapse any time involving life of the occupants later etc., etc.,

So, there is a way.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 23-02-08 at 11:09 AM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Sports And Games Association

There is a matter regarding the Roller Skating Federation of India pending before the CIC. CIC has asked the Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs to clarify if this is a PA as defined in the RTI Act...based on grants form the Government and the expenditure.

The full decision is attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

8. Re: Sports And Games Association

Thanks to all of you, especialy to Ganapat sir for the eye opener. Colnkurup sir you have shown me there is another way to achieve the goal and i wished to tell you that i have progressed a lot in this way. Thanks a lot to each and every one. Well one thing i would like to know is the association in question is substantially funded by Sports council which is a PA.Whether this make association PA ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android