Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a Secretary ask for any information?

1. Shrawan, I have been able to trace the following decision of the CIC in this connection. Please find out if it is in order:

1.CIC/WB/A/2006/00336 dt 09.08.2006

(In the pdf format of the decision, the date is wrongly mentioned as 09.05.2006)

2. Although the Act guarantees right to information only to a citizen, in the instant case, the appellant is seeking information on behalf of other members of the Association, or simply a group of citizens, not a body corporate. The basic objective of the Act is to give information, rather than to withhold or deny a right recognized.
    Yes that is the decision. I am attaching it here for the reference as many Officers would require this
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. Here are some of the cases where the "Associations" were allowed

CENTRAL INFORMATION COMMISSION
    Appeal: No. CIC/OK/C/2006/ 00001
    Dated, the 10th July, 2006
    Name of the Appellant:The General Secretary, Hindustan
    Cables Ltd., VRS Employees Welfare Association, Hyderabad
    Name of the Public Authority : Hindustan Cables Ltd., Kolkata

Appeal No.CIC/WB/A/ 2006/00364
    Right to Information Act 2005 – Section 19
    Appellant: Shri Sandeep Jain
    Respondent: India Meteorological Deptt.

Appeal No. CIC/WB/A/2006/ 00313 dated 13.6.2006
    Right to Information Act 2005 – Section 19
    Appellant Shri Ravinder Balwani
    Respondents : Department of Power, Government of NCT of Delhi

Maybe somebody would like to upload the appropriate CIC decisions.

4. this was just the query I had, our building society has finally put in an application under RTI to the PIO of BMC but applicant he has advised us to put our housing society name with the treasurer signing on its behalf . We affixed a court fee stamp of Rs.10 with a self addressed envelope and an AD card attached for the info. to be provided by registered post. Oops hope its a really big cover since we have asked for ALL the documents submitted pertaining to our bldg. Hope we get the info. will let u all know the result. Celebrations are on in the BMC after the recent elections!!
    How do they give the required info- directly or do they send a reply first?

5. Quote Originally Posted by ssn View Post
    but applicant he has advised us to put our housing society name with the treasurer signing on its behalf . We affixed a court fee stamp of Rs.10 with a self addressed envelope and an AD card attached for the info. to be provided by registered post.
    I do not know if you had applied under the Central RTI Act 2005 or under the Mah. State Info Act. I am not familiar with the latter. Now my replies for the posts highlighted in color, the replies are in the same color, so as not to cause any confusion.

Why do some folks listen to people, who are not conversant with the Act themself?

As per the Central Act. there is no need to attach self address envelope or AD Card. Only cost of photocopying or inspection of documents are applicable. Postage is generally paid for by the PIO's Office.

6. thanks for that firing! honest, I had my doubts, but the committee thought better of a lawyer's opinion than a secretary's and justifiably! the application was filed under the Act of 2005. We have been told to pay in cash on receipt of documents. (to enquire after 7 working days since date of application which was 2nd feb.) by the way, they also didn't accept the self addressed envelope and ad card.

7. Recently I came across a report in "The Telegraph", Calcutta, datelined 04 Feb.2007, that a former MP and secretary of CITU, Dipankar Mukherjee has been denied information under RTI, because he asked for it in his capacity as secretary of CITU. I am furnishing the link to this news item below:
    The Telegraph - Calcutta : Nation

Despite several decisions by the CIC in this regard, it appears that the PIOs and AAs are not getting themselves acquainted with the latest under RTI.

8. Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    Despite several decisions by the CIC in this regard, it appears that the PIOs and AAs are not getting themselves acquainted with the latest under RTI.
    The PIOs / AAs are very must conversant with the act to the extent to deny you information, by quoting the various exceptions. They are just afraid that somebody might expose their misdoings!

Given a chance, even these same PIOs/AAs would file an RTI Application for their personal benefit

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android