Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    23 Post(s)
    2 Thread(s)
    16 Post(s)

student get to see his evaluated answer papers

Getting to see their corrected answer sheets on demand looks possible for Calcutta University (CU) students, thanks to Right to Information (RTI).
    The state information commission on Tuesday directed the university to show a former student his evaluated answer script. The student was unhappy with his marks in the B.Com Part II Accountancy (Honours) examination of 2006.

The commission, however, added that the university should protect the identity of the examiner and scrutinizer who marked the answer script.
    The university syndicate on Wednesday decided unanimously to accept the commission’s directive. Suranjan Das, pro vice-chancellor (academic affairs), said that the university was ready to show the student his script.
    Utsav Dutta, the petitioner, now an MBA student in New Delhi, said: “When the results came out in July 2006, I found I had fared badly in some papers.” He contacted the university, which okayed a scrutiny, but turned down his request to show him the answer script. “I moved high court, which directed the university to show me the script. But the university cited internal problems.”

In September, Dutta filed a petition using the RTI clause. “But I still failed to get it and then moved the commission.”
    The commissioner summoned the CU registrar, who acts as the university’s principal information officer (PIO), and directed him to provide Dutta with the data.
    Initially, the university officials said such disclosures were exempted under the RTI. The commission held another hearing in early December.
    “After that, we directed the PIO to disclose the information, as it does not come under the exempted category,” said Arun Bhattacharyya, information commissioner.
    Dutta, who lost a semester in MBA because he was not issued a marksheet, is yet to receive any communication from the university.
    The directive may have far-reaching implications. “Since this will set a precedent, more students may approach us. We are considering guidelines for showing scripts to undergraduates and steps are being taken to preserve the scripts,” said pro vice-chancellor Das.

About 20 lakh undergraduate answer scripts are examined every year.
    “The CU authorities and examiners will now be alert, as they can at last be made answerable,” said M. Bhattacharjee, an activist of the RTI Manch in the state.

The Telegraph - Calcutta : Metro

› Find content similar to: student get to see his evaluated answer papers

10 Post(s)
    3 Thread(s)
    2 Post(s)

It is a good beginning. Similar pending cases in respect of other examinations should also get resolved in due course to establish a healthy tradition.

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    0 Post(s)

This will certainly benift students at large and other Universities should also allow this.