As reported by Mateen Hafeez of TNN on on 17 March 2008:
Prison mystery has police in a tizzy-Mumbai-Cities-The Times of India

Prison mystery has police in a tizzy

MUMBAI: Going by the records, a scrap dealer, Farooque Qadar Khan (27), spent three-and-a-half months in the Thane prison in 2004 for carrying an 11-inch knife.

However, Khan claims that it was not him but someone else who had used his name and address—apparently, he was at his home at that time.

Khan, a resident of Cheeta Camp in Trombay, said the court records show that he was in jail between August 2, 2004 and November 18, 2004.

"During that time, I was in the city and on August 4, had gone to file an affidavit before the additional chief metropolitan magistrate S S Shirke's court," said Khan. "On August 11 that year, I had lodged a non-cognisable (NC) complaint with the police and I have its copy."

Khan, who came to know about his "jail custody" three years later, submitted letters to deputy chief minister R R Patil and then police commissioner D N Jadhav on February 14, asking them to order a probe into how some accused could use his name and address. Inmate No. 4,600 was registered against Khan's name.

The police commissioner then instructed inspector Yeshwant Jadhav of the Trombay police to initiate an inquiry. Jadhav, however, said, "I can't say anything about this now, I am about to start the inquiry. I have asked Khan to give his statement on Monday. We will take statements of all the officers who were involved in that case."

According to the scrap dealer trouble began on May 6, 2004, when there was a clash between two groups. "Following the clash, the police did not take proper action against the accused. So, I complained about it to the State Human Rights Commission, asking for a probe. Owing to this complaint against the police, I have been targeted," said Khan.

Following the commission's order, inspector M A Bakhre began an inquiry and recorded Khan's statement on August 18, 2004. "The statement has been recorded. And during the same period, I'm being shown as a jail inmate," he said.

Khan claimed that the policemen were still harassing him. "They said since my name is listed on the ‘gunda cell', I have to go and sit in the police station for the entire day. It's affecting my business," he added. Khan has also filed RTI application, asking for the details of the case, like photo and finger print of inmate No. 4,600.

When contacted, assistant inspector S B Mane of the anti-narcotics cell, who was the investigating officer in the knife recovery case, said, "I don't remember this case." When asked whether the accused's photo in this case and Khan's face matched with each other or not, Mane said, "I don't know whether a photo was taken or not. You go and check the police record."

› Find content similar to: Prison mystery has police in a tizzy