Thread: Public Intrest Litigation (PIL)

1. Public Intrest Litigation (PIL)

Hi Friends,
    This is my first query on RTI.Basically I wanted to know if we could file a PIL against the big malls that are coming up in big cities like the one where I am residing i.e. Bangalore for the road congestion they are causing.These companies make such big malls (like Big Bazaar, Bangalore Central) but do not make arrangement for sufficient parking space for 4 and 2 wheelers and as a result all the visitors to these malls end up parking on the road sides which leads to traffic jams and congestion even to people who may not necessarily be visitor to that mall. It is the responsibility of the mall owners to provide the required parking space.
    If you think we can and should file a PIL, please tell me how to do the same.
    Thanks
    Sraban

2. Re: Public Intrest Litigation (PIL)

Dear Sarvan
    I would suggest you that first you get a copy of layout map approved by the Bangalore Development Authority(BDA) as it has to have all such components like parking space/parking capacity/ building use etc.
    Then on the basis of that get a video/ photography of the existing scenario and then file a complaint before the BDA regarding violation of the building use permission etc etc... Also try to get building bylaws... and file a complaint under that. Recently Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances has come up with a website for public grievances...
    File complaint in all such forums...
    The use the magic stick of RTI regarding the status of action under the complaint filed....
    You may see some result...Which may take some time....but it will definitely help....
    PIL would take time to fruitify.. if rti doesnt work then you can go for filing PIL.
    Another solution would be to approcach the area SDM/DM to take up the matter under section 133 of CrPC for removal of public nuisance....I think this will be the easiest and most effective tool as this is a quasijudicial matter and if the SDM is public spirited then definitely he will do the needful within the shortest possible time.

3. Re: Public Intrest Litigation (PIL)

hi,thanks for your reply and guidance.Could you tell me how easy is it to get the required documents from BDA regarding the layout map for that location and mall.

4. Re: Public Intrest Litigation (PIL)

Dear ask BDA about layout under RTI....
    under RTI it will take 30 days....
    and add some more days of postal and other delays...then within 45 days definitely u will get.
    Further one caution... since this RTI application will involve some builders and by default these builders do not have good character and track record. They may harm you... So get the application posted by someone who is living away from bangalore so that application can be transferred to BDA...It will delay the reply but definitely it will save you from possible harms.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android