Topic Identifier

Thread: Can we get information about Corrupt Police officers from RTI ?

Question Can we get information about Corrupt Police officers from RTI ?

Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum. I would like to know, can we get information/case details about the corrupt police officer of SI/CI rank from RTI?
    If yes, how and which is the right place to ask for the information ?

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Srikanth.

2. Re: Can we get information about Corrupt Police officers from RTI ?

I think RTI can be helpful in this regard also to some extent.
    I filed a FIR against a person. Investigating Officer found the charges correct. Before accused could be arrested he use IG office to call the records. IG ordered reinvestigation. Investigation by ans ASP again proved same thing. Another investigation by another ASP also recommended action. Asst Director prosecution also supported prosecution. But IG for obvious reasons toned down the whole thing and ordered filing of challan only in section 406(Breach of Trust), 420(Cheating) which are compoundable. All reports proved charges in 467, 468, 471(Forging of documents) which are serious offences and not compoundable. After filing police challan I obtained all investigation reports from IG office along with file notings through RTI. IG was instrumental in toning down the offences. How to proceed against IG is another story? If I have a good advocate, these reoprts can damn IG.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Can we get information about Corrupt Police officers from RTI ?

Quote Originally Posted by Srikanth View Post
    Hi Friends,

I am new to this forum. I would like to know, can we get information/case details about the corrupt police officer of SI/CI rank from RTI?

Thanks
    Srikanth.
    You can ask for the information about any cases under investigation and cases registered against such officers by approaching the Vigilance Dept. of the Police in your state.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Dear Srikanth,
    RTI is the best weapon to expose corrupt officers provided there is some basis. Recently I have filed an application seeking details od illeagal installations of privately owned air conditioners in their respective offices at police station by officers not entitled to air conditioner. I am happy to announce that the application had desired effect. You too can do the same using RTI provisions.

Ketan Modi

Hi Friends,

Thanks
    Srikanth.

Dear Srikanth,

Yes you can use RTI route for exposing corruption in any department provided you have specific instances. Don not, I repeat do not beat around the bush. You must have specific case against any officer. You just cannot paly a blind card seeking information about all the officers. File an application u/s 6(1) if you have specific information and also mention in your RTI application that cognizance must be taken if an offence is disclosed.
    Ketan Modi
    Hi Friends,

Thanks
    Srikanth.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android