As reported in on 07 April 2008:
The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Jharkhand | Illegal office on CCL land

Illegal office on CCL land

Giridih, April 6: The district administration apparently does not need any clearance when it plans projects on other people’s property.

Recently, a civil surgeon’s office was constructed on a plot belonging to Central Coalfields Limited (CCL). But the administration and the executing body had not taken a no-objection certificate (NOC) from CCL.

The illegal construction, estimated at Rs 8,381,874.93 lakh, came to the fore when one Tauheed Alam asked for information through the Right to Information Act.

On September 10, 2007, Alam had asked the executive body special division whether an NOC was obtained from CCL but he did not get any response for three months. “When I warned executive engineer Vijay Paswan that I would apprise the State Information Commission, I got an answer,” he said. “But instead of showing me the NOC, the department showed me a letter from deputy commissioner Birendra Ram’s office that sanctioned the construction,” he said.

Alam now plans to move the information commission.

CCL authorities were not pleased with the developments. N.P. Singh Saluja, the project officer at CCL, said: “Why the civil surgeon’s office alone, several other construction projects have been carried out on CCL lands in the past two years but no NOC has been obtained,” the officer rued. Illegal construction is also taking place near the area where a Koderma-Giridih railway project would soon come up.

This would also reduce the value of the building under construction.
Besides the construction of the civil surgeon office, the division is also planning four 100-bed hospitals in Gandey, Gawah, Pirtand and Bengabad.
The projects have been estimated at Rs 4 crore but the department has not called for tenders yet.

Executive engineer of the special division Vijay Paswan refused to comment on the matter.

› Find content similar to: Illegal office on CCL land