Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: RTI Act being misused, CIC directs probe

In Malayalam there is a saying that " like the bull seeing red ". Whenever RTI Act is referred, why should the so called noble government servants get disturbed and start associatting the RTIans and applicants with terms like Misuse, blackmale,harrassing the public servants, setling scores, bad intention etc., etc., ? The information is not given free. It is fully charged on commercial basis. The public servants are not doing any service; but doing their job for which they are paid for life. The cityzen has no concern whether the PIO is doing it in additional to his job or not. In any case the PIO may not work overtime free to clear an RTI application alone.

All that a cityzen has done is that he has asked for an inconvenient information held by the PA and all that is expected from the PIO is to give the information or refuce it or say that it is not held by him. If he is honest and strainght forward with nothing to hide, all that he is required to do is to give the information sought for and forget. The problem start when the PIO strart analying as to what is the consequences of giving out the information instead of examining whether it fall under the exemptions or third party. There are far too many skeletons in the public offices as an aftermath of Official Secrets Act. The corrupt lot have beeen taking shelter under the Official Secret Act. With the RTI Act all those skeletons are bound to get expossed to-day or tomorrow, whatever the oppositions the public servants make.

› Find content similar to: RTI Act being misused, CIC directs probe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    The cityzen has no concern whether the PIO is doing it in additional to his job or not. In any case the PIO may not work overtime free to clear an RTI application alone.
    sir, what you said is true. i dont have any doubt on the definition part of it. but on this website when we are discussing the act and its implementation thread bare, should we not discuss the infrastructural problems that cause an impediment in implementation of the act? shouldn't we show a bit more of statesmanship in discussing and finding solutions rather than simply saying "its none of my concern"?

if we realise that the PIO is the cutting edge of the scheme of things envisaged in the act, we should be helping the institution of the PIO by generating public opinion in favour of providing more infrastructure and finacial powers and other facilities to the PIO.

by helping the institution of the PIO, we are only helping ourselves.

Name:
    Sandeep Baheti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mohandas ji,
    Could you please give the name and address of the office where there is no typewriter and environmental conditions are detrimental to preservation of records? I intend to file an RTI application asking whether the PIO or any other officer has made a written request for getting the problem rectified. After all, the officers must consider the office where they work as their own and try to get the facilities implemented. They can't remain unconcerned and say "we're not concerned". Otherwise, the public is very correct in saying "we're not concerned about the internal situation"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sagginyou View Post
    by reading above lines it seems that we r living in an extremely xenophobic society.
    if the country thinks that the whole system is corrupt/ blackmailer/ thief....then lets remove the government and let there be anarchy.....
    i dont know this dilemma...
    people wants service from govt...which is performed by the govt employees....
    and then everyone wants to abuse the govt employees too...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeepbaheti View Post

I have a piece of advice for you: stop asking any sort of questions from your friends and family. After all, seeking any information from anyone amounts to harassing and abusing that person!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandeepbaheti View Post
    After all, the officers must consider the office where they work as their own and try to get the facilities implemented. They can't remain unconcerned and say "we're not concerned". Otherwise, the public is very correct in saying "we're not concerned about the internal situation"
    at 23 and when preparing for my civil services exam, i remember having harboured similar volatility. having now been in public service for some time now, i realise its a rare virtue to comprehend things from the other side and appreciate the efforts notwithstanding the results.

i understand its far more easier to be a Utopian as it allows one to skim the surface shallowness without actually getting wet. as i said in one of my earlier posts one needs to develop an air of statesmanship to deal with problems in one whole. its not a zeero sum game. individual sums dont add up. each component of the issue had to be dealt with while keeping the ultimate goal in picture.

its a good idea that one has come up with - use rti to ensure facilities to govt offices. my argument has always been this - if your axe is blunt, you cant cut a tree. if your purpose is to cut a tree, you have to spend time to sharpen your axe. the problem for a govt servant has been that he has been entrusted with the job of cutting a tree with a blunt axe. and he doesnt have time and resources to sharpen his axe. whats the result? people dont have firewood to keep themselves warm. now one may keep blaming the govt servant or the bluntness of the axe or the toughness of the tree; no point.

the fact remains that our statesmanship skills have failed us yet again. we decided on the end result first without checking if we had the instruments to achieve it. thats how we ended up having so much of mutual distrust between the haves and the have-nots of information. we are just not prepared to hear out the other person, understand him and help him out. we fail to understand that it is not in our interest to fight the other person but to help him and equip him to help us.

its easy to impose. but success of any policy depends upon how convinced the service providers and receivers are.

i would be glad if we create an atmosphere in this website wherein we can really contribute to the process of acceptance of the act by all rather than parroting stereotypes. or we'll end up fighting in the sidelines wasting a glorious opportunity given to us in this forumboard. we need more mature discussions and meaningful discussions to contribute to the cause for the benefit of everyone and to evolve a constructive public opinion.

am i asking for heaven? am i being more utiopian than saint simon?

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dear Mr.Chanda,
    What is the basic aim of the RTI Act ? Enlarge the Fundamental Rights envisaged in our Constitution. To give WE THE PEOPLE OF INDIA opportunity to participate in the governing process. In nutshell, the ruled should not be kept away from the ruling process. Nothing should be kept concealed by the rulers from the ruled.

When we refer 'ruler' , it is the democratically elected representatives of the people. But unfortunately, the public servants have been assuming the role of the ruler as an extension of the Britishraj. Recently we came across an alarming cituation. The 6th pay commission brought down the status and pay of Lt Cols (in pay scale-25)and thier equevelent in Air Force and Navy to New Pay Band-3 while they have taken their Juniors, Superintending Egineers (in pay scale -24) to PB-4. When the criminal atrocity was pointed out, the bureaucrates shooed away the soldiers telling that in "Democratic government, the civialians are superior and not the Military" Our plea that civilian superiority does not mean bureaucratic superiority but the superiority of elected representative and not their baboos, they refused to accept. As a resault, the Superintendent Engineer of old pay scale-24 has become superior to Lt Col in pay scale-25 from 1 September 2008 with no explanation for such atrocity. The problem still hang fire completely thrashing the command and control functions and morale of the Armed Forces to the extend that the Navy Chief had refused to accept the orders of 6 PC. The babus are testing the patients of the defence forces. Even the media refuce to listen.

The bureaucrates have been exploiting the educational backwardness of some of our elected representatives to their advantage thus making them dependent on the bureaucrates. It has reached a stage that some of the rulers have literally become a slave to the bureaucracy. Any attempt of the cityzens to interfere were thwarted by throwing the "Official Secrets Act".

The RTI Act has reversed the cituation. This inconvenience the bureaucracy. They find all excuses to tar the RTIans and RTI Act. They can successfully divert the issues and convince their view especially when the media is on their side. We the RTIas should remain conscious of this cituation One of the method I advocate is to avoid diversition and stick to " We want information, You are responsible to provide it. Since you are not interested in our problems, we are also not interested in your problems."