Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acknowledgment under RTI Act

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Acknowledgment

It is very difficult to change their habit unless the guilty start getting punishment. Unfortunately our RTI Act has not yet become that powerful. As you said it is better to resort to methods which can avert such direct confrontation. I resort to speed post even to most of the offices on my way to post oiffice and located within 100 meters from the post office. In very complicated cases where the PIO is likely to deny having received the application I complain to the Post office on non-delivery of the speed post and invariably they intimate the date and time of delivery. After I had resorted to this method thrice, most of the offices I deal with know my habit and no one has denied receipt of my application.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    most of the offices I deal with know my habit and no one has denied receipt of my application.
    That is the key to success. Make your habits well known to the PIO/AA. You will be seldom disappointed.

Each individual is different and deals with the situation differently.

I have my own "habits". Once I went for inspection to a PA. The PIO sent me with a peon to the custodian of the information to inspect. There were 4 files to inspect. The custodian asked me to "go outside" and inspect. "Outside" happened to be a very poorly lit internal corridor. So, I spread my hanky on the floor, opened my laptop (so that the screen gives me light), sat down cross legged and started my inspection, without caring about anything. Within 10 minutes, I was the centre of attraction in the whole building of 6 floors. About 50 curious employees passed by me, looking at the strange madman seriously poring over Government files in a such a manner. News reached the "bada saheb". Another 10 minutes later found me sitting in a big A/C room of a officer with cool drinking bottled water and a cup of tea to accompany me during my work.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

I think it will be nice to publish such experiences for the benefit of posterity. I too had an experience on inspection of file. I had asked for inspection of particular file pertaining to a particular case but was not knowing the File Number. Very promptly I got a letter sent through office messenger giving me date and time for inspection. When I reached I was politely taken to a room containing hundreds of files. With a grin the Head Clerk told me that the file I had asked is in that lot. In the absence of file Number he is unable to locate it in the rack readily He gave me full liberty to go ahead withmy inspection.of all files to locate the file I need. To help me, the Peon pulled out the first file in the rack and showed me for verification.

I could make out the joke played on me. I had asked for the dealing clerks' handing/taking over report on his assumption of that post. He had no choice . He gave me that report where the details of all files taken over by him was available. I asked him to give me a particular file. I told him that I can now very specifically ask for that file with its number and he has to provide it. The problem ended there.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 26-04-08 at 09:55 PM.

4. Re: Acknowledgment

I have suggested and guided more than 60/65 RTI applications to various PAs and in all cases I have requested to send the application by registered ad or speed ad post. This procedure has made filing of applications hussle-free. If email ID is available, one can email copy of original application with mailing details as a reminder after 10 days of mailing original application.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

colnrkurup, kudos for outsmarting that Head Clerk.

Name:
    Tara Shankar
    Blog Entries

My experience shows that it is better to send RTI application by speedpost with AD rather spending petrol,time.

In one of my 1st Appeal even the appellate authority denied receipt of my first appeal when I had with me the postal AD and internet speed post tracking information "delivered to......date ".I sent him all copies again by speed post with AD including proof of delivery ....let me see how 1st appellate authority reacts.
    Last edited by Shrawan; 11-05-08 at 10:30 AM. Reason: moderation

7. Re: Acknowledgment

Always use speed post. In fact local speed post charges have been reduced to Rs 12/- only

Re: Acknowledgment under RTI Act

Quote Originally Posted by valli9 View Post
    Hello,
    Recently one set back occured while submitting RTI Application. I was at Madurai on 03-04-2008, I submit my RTI Application to the PIO / Deputy Superintending Engineer (H), Projects, Algarkovil Road, Madurai and request acknowledgment for receipt of application. The Administrative Officer (APIO) told me send the application by Registered Post with Acnowledgment then automatically it will be acknowledged.. I told them, please write it now, I will send the same through RPAD.
    After that they put the office round seal in my spare application form.
    Officer's still in their own way.
    R.P.Vallinayagam
    Sometimes, the only option is to do something even more drastic. Find a major post office with a dedicated "RTI window" -- unfortunately not yet available in all towns, and I think so far limited only to metros -- which stamps each page of what even goes INSIDE an envelope as "RTI Priority." The post office stamps 3 copies of each page -- one for you, one for itself, and one to be sent to the PA. Best, -Murgie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android