Thread: can CPIO ask me to see files?

can CPIO ask me to see files?

dear frends . i had sent a RTI application asking for some documents and file notings . this is about one file available at chief engineer's office. instead of giving me required documents and file notings the CPIO is asking me to go to the chief engineer's office and see the files . I think if i am asking for xerox copies CPIO should make it available to me instead of telling me to go and see files>
    what shall i do now/? shall i appeal?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: can CPIO ask me to see files?

If the number of copies asked for is large or if the subject matter for inspection is not clear, the PIO can request you to inspect the records first and then take copies.

If you are closeby, I think it is better to inspect the records and select pages from the files, for which you need copies.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

3. Re: can CPIO ask me to see files?

Dear Khan, there is nothing wrong in CPIO asking you to see the files i.e inspection of the files. under the RTI act, informaion means and includes inspection of files. there may be some reason for this such as the files may be too large to get xerox copies . so you can avail this opportunity and inspect the files. after the inspection is over you can ask the CPIO to get certified copies of the documents identified by you. the appeal can be made in due course , if you are still dissatisifed.

4. Re: can CPIO ask me to see files?

I guess the CPIO is from Bldg Proposal Office BMC. They give same reply to all the applicant. There is one decision of SIC Maharastra in which the commissioner has directed the CPIO give actually information rather inviting to inspect file. I am not able to find the decision, because the decision are not kept in index format on the SIC Maharashtra site.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android