Thread: '50 mercy petitions before the President'

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

'50 mercy petitions before the President'

As reported on hindu.com on 15 April 2008:
    The Hindu News Update Service

'50 mercy petitions before the President'

Meerut (PTI): There are 50 mercy petitions pending before the President of India, according to information received through RTI.

Among the 50 mercy petitions, 15 are from Uttar Pradesh, founder of local Law Vidaypeeth Amit Jain said on Tuesday.

Jain said following a petition submitted by him through the Right to Information Act, the President's Secretariat revealed this fact.

Though some of the mercy petitions were submitted years ago, no decision has been taken on them yet, he alleged.

Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: '50 mercy petitions before the President'

This is a mockery on Demecracy." I think it is high time for our Parliament to enact a law that " Non-receipt of grant of mercy petition from the President within one month will be deemed as refusal of the mercy petition and the court orders executed accordingly"

Yes, I agree with Col Kurup view in this regard..... Mercy petition to the President is put up in cases of Death Sentence, which is a rarest of the rare punishment given to the cruelest criminal. Hence, President of India should not delay in such cases.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

When the old Travancore State (now part of Kerala) was ruled by Maharajas, the system of mercy petetion was in existance. I was told that the Maharaja used to delay the grant of mercy. But he will grant mercy and will arrange to deliver it to the Jail Superintendent only few minutes after the culprit is hanged. This will save the King from being a party to the punishment. I think if our President does not want to be party to the punishment she can also follow the same system of deliverying the mercy sanction to reach the jail only after the culprit is hanged. I think the Courts in their judgements should specify the date and time for execution. This can solve the problem as the order of the court will stand unless it is supended.

waiting (as a result of laid down procedures/rules/regulations/political correctness/international ramifications) thy name is democracy.Believe me India has some of the best laws,but worst adherence.e.g;What is wrong with basic enactment of RTI 2005(minor pinpricks notwithstanding)but Babus still manage,under various pretexts,adherence difficult.
    Leaving aside that,in USA average waiting time on death row is about 7 years and there are cases where persons awaiting on death row is close to 20 years from the initial sentence(attributable to several layers of appeal ).Human life is precious,at least in civilsed Democracies.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android