Thread: Whether RTI can be utilised in High Court and lower court in asking certified copies from a distance

Name:
    Tara Shankar
    Blog Entries

Whether RTI can be utilised in High Court and lower court in asking certified copies from a distance

Present system of getting certified copies from High Court or lower court to present the copy application by yourself or by your advocate and follow up.Meet clerk ,run for days etc.
    When your advocate does not do the job efficiently with nuances of system and whether the petitioner can ask such certified copies who stays at a long distance by post invoking a RTI Application?Whether copies from the records of peding cases be obtained where one is a party?if so can anybody tell me where and how to apply to HC of Orissa?
    Whether Orissa Information rules applies to HC of Orissa too ?

Re: Whether RTI can be utilised in High Court and lower court in asking certified copies from a distance

please let me know why court insist for the cerified copies of the doucuments taken under r t i act ? or why the public information oficer is not giving the certified copies of the public documents asked under r t i act ?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Whether RTI can be utilised in High Court and lower court in asking certified copies from a distance

Under the RTI act, Sec 2(j) clearly states that "Right to Information" includes the right to get "certified copies". Please read the online RTI Act here: act.rtiindia.info

If you asked for certified copies, the PIO has to give them. Otherwise it is incomplete information or deemed denial of information.

If the documents have been obtained under RTI and have been submitted to court, they should be accepted as it is. It actually depends on the Judge. In any case, it is always better to ask for certified copies in your RTI application, in case you need to use those copies elsewhere.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    If the documents have been obtained under RTI and have been submitted to court, they should be accepted as it is. It actually depends on the Judge. In any case, it is always better to ask for certified copies in your RTI application, in case you need to use those copies elsewhere.
    I understand that if the documents submitted to court are obtained under RTI Act by someone else, i.e. not the plaintiff, the question of authorship of the documents is most likely to arise, and unnecessarily divert and delay the decision. Hence it is always advisable FOR THE PLAINTIFF to obtain CERTIFIED copies under RTI by himself as the applicant.

Dear all,
    Courts are also public authorities and in at least one case I have obtained serious strictures against a sitting civil judge who is sitting over a case for the last six years for the want of printed paper book. A barrister hired in the case has now offered to pay the fees back. I am after his vital organs to get the full refund for not taking up the matter for six full years and only taking dates. Now we have the printed paper book and also the judge is still scared in trying the case normally. As suggested by Karira Sir, you are entitled to seek duly attested copies and if they don't give you it would be deemed denial. In case if you want to scare the PIO let him know that though you are not suppose to disclose the reasons for seeking information you shall use it before a court of law on being furnished the same or otherwise. Happy information seeking.
    Ketan Modi
    Bapu

Help needed. can I ask Certified copy of full case file .

Dear all,
    can I ask Certified copy of full case file from HC under RTI ?

7. Re: Whether RTI can be utilised in High Court and lower court in asking certified copies from a distance

Dear Aslam

Yes you can.

regards

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android