Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

1. Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    If you need any asistance for translation(not a certified one) please inform me. I can refer you to some of my contacts at Mangalore.
    Almost all major Government Offices, Deptts., Banks including RBI etc. have official translators, Hindi Officers on their payroll. Mangalore is no different. Just walk into any of the Government Officers / Banks etc. where ever you have some good friends/relatives or know the staff members. Ask them to guide you to the designated officers, who will provide you with a translation without any cost.

Secondly you can also visit any of the subordinate offices of Ministry of Info & Broadcasting like All India Radio or DD in Mangalore, or PIB or Field Publicity Deptt. They have many officers, who will gladly provide you with the translation or guide you appropriately.

Re: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

It is a common practice even in Gujarat, when a application is filed in English under RTI Act 2005, the reply is given in Gujarat, and that too in handwritten illegible manner.

In my first appeal, I had specifically asked for information to be typed and in English, but the reply came in Gujarati. This time though, fortunately, it was typed at least.

I will be requesting the PIO soon to give me a english translation of the reply to my application, or at least a typed legible copy.

3. Re: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

Information is to be provided in the form in which it is requested. If the PIO does not agree to provide it in the requested form then proceed with the normal course of first appeal and then second appeal.

You shall refer this problem to the SIC Bangalore with a request for instructing the concerned PIO to provide a reply in English.

This is the result of forming linquistic states. Local enthusiasts of the state takes it as prestige issue. There cannot be any solution in the near future.

6. Re: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

Section 7(9) of RTI Act states "An information shall ordinarily be provided in the form in which it is sought unless it would disproportionately divert the resources of the public authority or would be detrimental to the safety or preservation of the record in question."

But I doubt if this can be used for the language.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

In view of the obejectives of the RTI Act, the PIO should reply in the same language as the application - especially if it is in English, Hindi or the Local language.

However, if you asked for some "record" then it will be provided to you in the "form" that it is available. Therefore, if record is available in Kanada, it will be given to you in Kanada - the PIO will not translate it for you.

I really appreciate the response of all RTI enthusiasts.

What I feel sour about is that this is a act with no teeth, so to say. And on top of that, most of the SICs are so lenient and biased. The applicant is left with no recourse except to file a writ, and that too can happen only after at least a year after he files the first application (that too hopefully!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12