Thread: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

I have a difficulty in as much I ask a question under the RTI Act in English and get a reply in Kannada which I cannot read.
    This from the Municipal Commissioner,Mangalore City Corporation- an IAS/KAS cadre officer.
    When I asked if I could get a reply in English or Hindi I was rudely told by his PA that I should go to England or to Delhi/UP ?

There is nobody in Mangalore who can give me a certified translation so that I can do follow up on my query.

How do I get over this

› Find content similar to: Replies not given in English or Hindi but only in Kannada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edmar View Post
    I have a difficulty in as much I ask a question under the RTI Act in English and get a reply in Kannada which I cannot read.

How do I get over this
    Edmar, its difficult to understand if you had filed the application under RTI Act 2005 of the Central Government or that of the Karnataka State Govt. If the question was asked under the former, you can demand an English translation, since your original application was in English.

I am not very much conversant with the latter. Maybe you can get in touch with the State Information Commissioner at Bangalore and lodge a complain, if the PIO of the Deptt. refuses to comply.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I had filed the application under the RTI Act 2005 and in Form A under Section 6(1) and 7(1) of the RTI Act 2005.

Do I have to specifically mention that the application is under the Central Govt Act to get a reply in English.

I will be getting in touch with the State Information Commissioner in Bangalore but am unaware where I can get his email/postal address.

I will definitely let other members know too the outcome as surely there must be others too who have this language problem.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edmar View Post
    I had filed the application under the RTI Act 2005 and in Form A under Section 6(1) and 7(1) of the RTI Act 2005.

Thanks

i) In that case, they have to reply in English. In case you have already received a reply in Kanada, send in a request to the original PIO i.e. the Municipal Commissioner,Mangalore City Corporation that you may be provided a reply in English as per the RTI Act 2005. All ask for the name and address of the Appellate Authority.

2) You can also lodge a complaint against the PA who behaved rudely with you. A seperate complaint can also be sent directly to the CIC at Delhi. Make sure that you send four copies of the complaint. Check this link for more details on filing a complain with the CIC

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt...re-format.html

Make sure, you give the full name of the PA and his address if possible. Else simply give his designation etc. and the date he replied rudely to you.

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Edmar, please refer to my reply to the thread: "Information on Information Commissioners", in this forum,wherein I have furnished the Karnatak SIC's address and other contact details.

If you need any asistance for translation(not a certified one) please inform me. I can refer you to some of my contacts at Mangalore.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

I have included the trackbacks of Ganpat reference in this thread. See the bottom of the thread.
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/1179-post2.html

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Thank you Kushal for setting right my omission.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

A good job guys. Kushal may you can include in FAQ if not already done