Dan Dezum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how RTI matter between two states work

Hi.. I am sagitta from Sikkim. Being close to WB, we need to deal with WB Govt. machinaries pretty frequently. I read lot of sites. Some were discouraging but some did give-out hope. I have presently some problem. I do hope that would be sorted out. Meanwhile I would be grateful to know how RTI matter between two states work, I mean to say I am from Sikkim and I need information from the WB Govt. offices, who then would be "appallate authority", the one who sits in Sikkim or the one who is in WB ?<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

› Find content similar to: how RTI matter between two states work

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

re: how RTI matter between two states work

Dear Dan Dezum,
    For a Public Authoritiy in West Bengal Govt, the Public Info Officer and also the Appellate Authority will be in W. Bengal only. The Info Commissioner in the hierarchy is also appointed by W Bengal govt only. There is no separate arrangement for RTI between two states.
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

sagitta,

Any citizen of India, living anywhere in the World, can apply for information under the RTI Act from any Public Authority within the country (except J & K).

The jurisdictional differences are:

1. Public Authorities under central rules
    2. Different Public Authorities in EACH state for State rules
    3. Different High Courts/Legislatures in each state

So, as Ganpat pointed out, even if you are staying in Sikkim, you can apply to any Public Authority in West Bengal (state PA). The PIO and the Appellate authority will be of that particular Public Authority. There is no problem if you give your Sikkim address in your RTI Application.
    Just make sure that your application and fees are as per the RTI Rules framed for that particular jurisdiction - centre, Sikkim or West Bengal under which the PA falls).
    Last edited by karira; 25-04-08 at 06:46 AM. Reason: adding more information
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    Dan Dezum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

karira...thanks a lot for the information. I will be starting my case (seeking information) under RTI and would be glade to post the developments here. Can you also tell me, do I need to go all the way to Kolkata for "hearings" if that became necessary ? Because I do feel if the hearings has to be like court hearings that would be stressful on my time and money. One more thing, they do have their office in Siliguri. (the office through which I am trying to obtain information is West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation and I do believe, Mainak Tourist Lodge, Siliguri, is kind of their Branch Office. Siliguri is just 3 hours drive from Sikkim !). Thanks.
    Last edited by sagitta; 04-05-08 at 07:56 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sagitta,
    If you are interested to know details about RTI activities, rules, regulations, list of State Public Information Officers etc of West Bengal, then it will be better for you to visit the state Inf. Commission's website-- West Bengal Information Commission
    I think this will be helpful for your query.------ abhijeet

Name:
    Dan Dezum
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks a lot for all the information.

Name:
    Murgie Krishnan
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: how RTI matter between two states work

Quote Originally Posted by sagitta View Post
    karira...thanks a lot for the information. I will be starting my case (seeking information) under RTI and would be glade to post the developments here. Can you also tell me, do I need to go all the way to Kolkata for "hearings" if that became necessary ? Because I do feel if the hearings has to be like court hearings that would be stressful on my time and money. One more thing, they do have their office in Siliguri. (the office through which I am trying to obtain information is West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation and I do believe, Mainak Tourist Lodge, Siliguri, is kind of their Branch Office. Siliguri is just 3 hours drive from Sikkim !). Thanks.
    Small additional details:

(a) In case there is a matter about which there is ambiguity about who the right authority is, the authoritity you do submit your RTI request to is obligated u/s6(3) [also see s5(3-5)] under the RTI Act to transfer your request to a different authority if it believes that is appropriate for dealing with part or all of your request.

(When I repeatedly failed to get RBI to even acknowledge receipt of my RTI request, I ended up sending it to the PIO in the Indian Consulate in New York, and after she forwarded it to RBI, they finally acknowledged receipt.)

(b) If you insist on being given an opportunity to participate in a hearing (STRONGLY recommended) and there is some hardship involved in making a physical trip, you should explore whether technology can be used to enable you to participate from wherever you via say, video-conference or even by telephone. Public authorities may not be very keen to cooperate in this regard but it is worthwhile to still try very hard. At a recent hearing before CIC I believe that at least part of the reason for his sympathy was that he realized I had been given no opportunity to participate, despite begging repeatedly for it. The CIC remanded that case to the AA (of SEBI) and now they have gone the extra mile to make sure I can participate in this SEBI re-hearing using VoIP (skype) from my computer. On April 21, the CIC let me participate via video-conference from Bombay in 2 different hearings ... the location was the NIC center in Bombay, the CIC was in Delhi.

(c) In a small town you may be at some disadvantage relative to someone in a big city. But while attending these video-hearings on April 21, I learnt that the National Information Commission (NIC) has centers in all states, and at a minimum they have a place where you can go to to attend a video-conference. The NIC guy even told me that he had once organized a hearing with one participant in Washington DC. So I think it is partly a matter of making noise, being insistent, and keeping documentation of your requests for such consideration, so that at least at a later stage you begin to get consideration.

(d) At least some of the non-response from PAs seems to be because the people are ancient civil servants who are used to a very different style of working, and still pretend the world has not changed. You have to be persistent, without becoming rude. At the level of the PAs their strategy may be to just get an appellant disgusted and give up, but at the level of the CIC where they have seen more cases, the attitude is definitely more positive. Best,

Murgie

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android