Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hello friends, this another passport woe

Name:
    Sajeev
    Blog Entries

Question Hello friends, this another passport woe

Hi there
    I was looking for some information on "Right to Emergency Care" on google and stumbles upon this site. I just browsed through, and boy! am I happy! I saw the posting titled "Passport Woes" by Puja Iyengar and the replies by Karira and others. I am so happy because I was wondering about using RTI for my own passport.
    I am in Kolkata for the last fourteen years, but born and studied till my graduation in Kerala where my parents still live. I have stayed in many places in Kolkata and am now at my present address for the last two years. I applied for a passport in November last year. I followed it through and went to the police station for the verification. I think the officer was hinting at some bribe which I did not pay. Anyway after the verification the papers were sent back to the regional passport office and I was given a despatch number from DIB.
    Then on the website (indianpassport.nic.in), they asked me to apply with PP forms with birth of place address. The agent through which I applied told me that this was because I did not pay the bribe and now it has to go to Kerala and come back. Anyway I submitted the PP form again with the required details by the end of January.
    From that time there is no change in the status on the website. I filed two grievances using the facility offered at the website, but no news from the rpo. In the second grievance I even mentioned that I may use RTI, but still absolutely no response from them. The last grievance filed was a month ago.
    I think I will file an RTI. What do you think about it Karira and other helpful people here?
    With warm regards, Sajeev.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Hello friends, this another passport woe

sajeev,

Welcome to the forum !

Since this is a section meant for New Member Introduction only, please wait till one of the "moderators" or "community builders" shifts it to the proper section "Ask for a RTI Query".

Once that is done, members will definitely help you with your individual problem.

In the meantime, may I request you to please browse through some of the threads on the subject of passports:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/search/searchid-25073/
    Twitter: @cjkarira

3. Re: Hello friends, this another passport woe

Shifted to "Ask for RTI Query"
    Defeat is not final when you fall down. It is final when you refuse to get up.

You may also use this to find the Passport tag:
    RTI India - Threads Tagged with passport

5. Re: Hello friends, this another passport woe

Pl go ahead with RTI application with passport office, Kolkatta. This will expedite the matter.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    Sajeev
    Blog Entries

Thank you all. I am so overwhelmed to see so many helpful souls. I have gone through the threats suggested by you and got some idea now. I am going ahead with the application. I have a couple of doubts more. If I want to ask for the information personally, how will they let me know when it is ready? Is it better to ask them to send it by registered post? In that case when should I pay for the cost?
    I have prepared an application. It is broadly based on Karira's reply to somebody. But it looks like there are many unnecessary questions. Please go through this and see if anything to be added and anything removed.
    I am attaching it since I could not copy and paste it on to this message (too many images it seems!)
    Thanks for your support so far. Hope to find more of it. This is surely a great site. I am happy I found it.
    Sajeev.
    <O
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

sajeev,

That's a good RTI application.
    Just made 2 changes:
    - Don't address the application by name since officer might get transferred
    - Details of your IPO payment

Just make the RTI application and submit it in person or through Registered Post AD. It is the RPO's responsibility to get the reply to you - by any means available to him.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Name:
    Sajeev
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Hello friends, this another passport woe

Hello friends
    At last I managed to submit a petition under RTI. I should say, with much difficulty. The man at the Information counter at Kolkata Passport Office gave me a big lecture on RTI and why I should not apply when I merely asked him where to submit it. He even threatened me that if I went ahead, I would have to answer many questions and so on. He was not the least helpful. He told me I would have to find my own way in that office.:rolleyes:
    Anyway, after that I met another officer who was monitoring visitors to the offices inside. I managed to convince him that this was absolutely essential and so he took it to another officer and after that asked me to go and meet him. This officer (Mr M L Mukherjee, but I don't know his designation) explained to me that the delay was not their fault. My application has gone for verification from my birthplace (in Kerala) on Feb 18 and the report has not come. So he told me that there was no point in filing RTI at this office, I should do it to the police in Kerala. I told him that to do that I would need some documentary evidence from the passport office and so the RTI was still valid. At last he accepted the petition and signed a copy of it and gave me.
    Now I don't know if I should file another complaint under RTI to the police in Kerala. If yes, to whom and where? Don't the people at the passport office here have some responsibility to make sure that the verification is not delayed too much? Now it looks like this is going to take a lot longer than I expected.
    Regards, Sajeev.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast