Topic Identifier

Thread: Passport issue: Process stuck at police verification; the police officer wants bribe

Name:
    Harish Gupta
    Blog Entries

Passport issue: Process stuck at police verification; the police officer wants bribe

Hi All,

I applied for a passport through the regional passport office, Hyderabad on April 2, 2008. The police officer called me on April 11, 2008 to inform that he would come for the verification in a day or two.

Since the last week, i have been trying to get in touch with him and today finally I traced him down. My circle is Asif Nagar. I asked him about the status of my police verification and he said its pending as there are many earlier requests (since Janaury and Feburary) that he has to complete first. He said that he cant bend the rules!! and that I will have to wait for my turn.

I am sure he is looking for some bribe. I even met an old citizen who had the same issue and he shooed him away!! giving the same excuse.

Please tell me how to proceed. Sending an <ACRONYM title="Right to Information">RTI</ACRONYM> to the passport office won't solve the purpose as its not their fault. I saw a few cases here where the <ACRONYM title="Public Information Officer">PIO</ACRONYM> in RPO said the delay was from the police side and the citizen should ask the police.

Also, in case I file a <ACRONYM title="Right to Information">RTI</ACRONYM> to <ACRONYM title="Public Information Officer">PIO</ACRONYM> police, it may happen that they give an adverse report to my police verification. In case they do so, what should I do?

Not sure if <ACRONYM title="Right to Information">RTI</ACRONYM> will help me in getting out of this dilemma. I dont want to pay bribe to the officer, it hurts and makes me feel week and helpless in a democratic society!!!

Please help.

2. Re: Passport issue: Process stuck at police verification; the police officer wants bribe

Write a formal letter (not under RTI)to Local Police station requesting to expedite the process of verification as you are in urgent need of passport, the mark c.c to ACP under whose juridistion falls your police station.
    Don't go personally for dispatch send it via Speed Post A.D.
    ACP office will forward copy of your letter to local police station, Police station cannot overrule their boss.

Re: Passport issue: Process stuck at police verification; the police officer wants bribe

Lure the greedy cop into a trap after consulting the Anti corruption bureau of your state. They shall be glad to help. Clean the society of some evils atleast, or moan in helplessness.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android