Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Probabaly the CIC can be convinced on the grounds that the "information" sought is in larger public interest.

2. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

I am sorry. I should have posted this earlier.

I pleaded before the CIC under 18(1), 18(1)(e), 18(2), 18(3)(a-f) that R&AW evidently told a lie when it gave a sweeping anser that they had "no information on Netaji".

The commission ruled that it had "no jurisdiction to pass any orders/decisions".

Kindly see this link

:::MISSION NETAJI::: Cannot intervene in Netaji-R&AW case, says CIC

And this one for the entire correspondence. One may or may not be bothered about Subhas Bose's fate, who seems to have wasted his life for Indians, but this makes interesting reading.

:::MISSION NETAJI::: Correspondence with R&AW

Regards

PS: See this blog for the latest. There was a full bench hearing yesterday.
    https://justiceforsubhas.blogspot.com

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Anuj,

CIC seems to be "very interested" in Netaji.

Govt in a spot over Netaji info

New Delhi: The mysterious disappearance of Netaji Subash Chandra Bose returned to haunt the Union Home Ministry on Tuesday as the Central Information Commission expressed displeasure over its stand of not parting with documents related to his alleged death in a plane crash in 1945.

"Who are you to decide if an information can cause unrest? You have to be accountable to the people of the country as to why an information cannot be disclosed. You must change your stated position and take a reasoned decision," Information Commissioner A N Tiwari said during a hearing by a full bench.

The full bench, headed by Chief Information Commissioner Wajahat Habibullah, met to decide on a plea by Sayantan Dasgupta, who had sought information from the ministry about documents relied on by two commissions that had arrived at the conclusion that Netaji had died in an air crash in Taiwan.

Dasgupta, a member of Delhi-based organisation Mission Netaji, had sought certified copies of all documents exhibited before the Shah Nawaz Khan Committee (1956) and the Khosla Commission (1970-74), which probed Netaji's disappearance, as the recent Mukherjee Commission had contradicted their findings.

During the hour-long proceedings, the ministry was at the receiving end as it failed to explain its reasoning that providing the documents could lead to unrest in the country, including in Netaji's home state of West Bengal.

"At what level, this decision (for non-disclosure) has been taken? Is it the intelligence, bureaucracy or the politician...?" Tiwari inquired even as the full bench reserved its order on the matter.
    Govt in a spot over Netaji info : RTI, Right to Information, cic, netaji subhash chandra bose, : IBNLive.com : CNN-IBN

4. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Anuj,

"Who are you to decide if an information can cause unrest? You have to be accountable to the people of the country as to why an information cannot be disclosed. You must change your stated position and take a reasoned decision," Information Commissioner A N Tiwari said during a hearing by a full bench.
    Those are the words which should be written in gold. RTI has indeed brought Democracy to the fore front.

Manoj

5. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

section 24 is not applicable in such cases. it is a matter of public interest.

6. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Yes, Karira. At least two the commissioners who are handling our requests.

Mpai, Commissioner Tiwari handled this matter to start with. Initially, he thought that it was an unimportant matter but the he realised its importance. In fact, in the first hearing, we got a sort of dressing down. Next hearing the tables were turned on the MHA officers and they panicked. Home Secy himself sent a secret letter saying that disclosure will cause unrest. Our point has been ..when the man died in an accident more than 60 years ago, as the govt claims, nothing of that sort can possibly happen.

however, there will be some unrest if people were to smell a rat in Govt's handling of the case after seeing the secret records. And I am dead sure, people will smell many rats because evidence doesnt suggest that Bose died in 1945. All leads are that he escaped to Russia and our govt is not keen to find out, or disclose, what happened next.

7. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Dhar View Post

Mpai, Commissioner Tiwari handled this matter to start with. Initially, he thought that it was an unimportant matter but the he realised its importance.

Next hearing the tables were turned on the MHA officers and they panicked. Home Secy himself sent a secret letter saying that disclosure will cause unrest

No doubt IC Tiwari knows several other laws in addition the RTI Act well. If you put forward your appeal properly before him, you are bound to win. I would like to remind you of your original statement, you first posted " But I find that this answer is a lie. "

I feel with the permission of IC Tiwari, you can also lodge an FIR against the PIO for giving a false information.

Manoj

8. Re: Applicability of Sec 24(1)

the "lie" pertained to RTI case with R&AW. Tiwari is handling our MHA case. I did bring the matter to Chief Information Commissioner's notice. He told me that he was helpless as R&AW was not covered by the act.

I am afraid, I wont be able to take the matter furhter. I have no resources or support system.

However, we do have a legal battle on mind ---over the RTI cases. But again it depends on support. Unfortunately most people's heart beat only for perverts, terrorists or actors. I feel Bose wasted his life for us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android