Thread: improper behavour of authorities of a private university

1. improper behavour of authorities of a private university

urgent

I am working as a faculty member of a private university in Hyderabad. The university does not pay salary timely. it paid my Dec 2006 salary after many reminders but deducted a large sum from it. The accounts deparment has not clarified about these deductions inspite of requests. Moreover it has not paid the January salary so far to me though the salary date was 31st JAN 2007. pl help the authorities lie also frequently even in writing. Aneeta

2. Dear Aneeta,
    Right to information cover all the insitituion which comes under the definition of Public Authority.
    You may refer this thread for definiton of Public Authority
    http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/appeal...blic-body.html

If it falls under the perview of public authority then you can ask for information under RTI.
    Last edited by maneesh; 08-02-07 at 12:27 PM.

3. Hello Aneeta91,

From your query, I am unable to decipher a few things.

Have you been isolated for this treatment of delayed payment & wrongful deduction of salary, or whether other faculty members too suffer a similar fate? Did this problem crop up during Dec/Jan only or has it been going on for quite some months? What are the terms and conditions of your appointment and other service rules? However, without going into the details of the above, I offer you the following general suggestions.

Private Universities are generally eatablished through an act of the state legislature. The act gives power to the respective state government to issue directions to nominate its officers on the governing body and board of management, power to inspect their books of accounts and power to conduct enquiry in case any irregularities are reported and also to order necessary corrective steps to rectify the same.

Therefore the state government has full power to regulate these private universities. If things go wrong, the state govt has the right to intervene and take necessary corrective steps to protect the interests of the students and staff. Therefore making a representation to the appropriate authority of the state govt may be one way to deal with your problem.

I have also come across reports about several private universities functioning in Hyderabad, as an off-site campus of universities created under the acts notified by Chattisgarh & Uttaranchal states. In case you happen to be working in such an off-site university, you may consider making a representation to the UGC as well, since the UGC also holds a regulatory power over these universities.

Strictly speaking, your institution does not fall under the ambit of RTI and to solve your problem, you may have to seek recourse under labour laws applicable in your state.
    Last edited by ganpat1956; 10-02-07 at 03:28 AM.

4. Good information ganpat

5. Thank you Maneesh. Eventhough, the query did not pertain to RTI, given their plight, I felt that our forum could provide them atleast some information to enable them to proceed in the right direction. In the process, I too learnt a few things about private universities.

6. improper behaviour.......

Thank you Mr Ganpat1956
    Yes I am isolated for the treatment and they are rather powerful who say that neither State government nor the UGC can do anything against their institution so I have decided to leave the institution. It is true otherwise also as the government and UGC rarely take notice of complaints. In fact university is state university in one state while freely distributing degrees in other states and UGC VICE-CHAIRMAN IS THE CHIEF GUEST IN SUCH CONVOCATIONS SO I NATURALLY HAVE VERY LITTLE CHANCES OF GETTING JUSTICE. Can I however use RTI against UGC AND STATE GOVT IF THESE DO NOT ACT ON MY COMPLAINT. tHANKS AND REGARDS
    Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    Hello Aneeta91,

From your query, I am unable to decipher a few things.

Have you been isolated for this treatment of delayed payment & wrongful deduction of salary, or whether other faculty members too suffer a similar fate? Did this problem crop up during Dec/Jan only or has it been going on for quite some months? What are the terms and conditions of your appointment and other service rules? However, without going into the details of the above, I offer you the following general suggestions.

Private Universities are generally eatablished through an act of the state legislature. The act gives power to the respective state government to issue directions to nominate its officers on the governing body and board of management, power to inspect their books of accounts and power to conduct enquiry in case any irregularities are reported and also to order necessary corrective steps to rectify the same.

Therefore the state government has full power to regulate these private universities. If things go wrong, the state govt has the right to intervene and take necessary corrective steps to protect the interests of the students and staff. Therefore making a representation to the appropriate authority of the state govt may be one way to deal with your problem.

I have also come across reports about several private universities functioning in Hyderabad, as an off-site campus of universities created under the acts notified by Chattisgarh & Uttaranchal states. In case you happen to be working in such an off-site university, you may consider making a representation to the UGC as well, since the UGC also holds a regulatory power over these universities.

Strictly speaking, your institution does not fall under the ambit of RTI and to solve your problem, you may have to seek recourse under labour laws applicable in your state.

7. Hello Aneeta,
    Under your present circumstances, it will be extremely difficult for you to fight your management as a lone individual without proper and sufficient backing. Waging a war as a lone crusader requires extarordinary courage, will power , determination and preparedness to face any eventuality. Hence your decision to quit the job is right. In my opinion RTI application can be filed against UGC & the state govt. I would suggest you to initiate the same after getting relieved.

8. Aneeta,
    You can wage your war over the internet. You can start a blog and put information which you feel will educate the public against the misuse. Internet is very powerful medium to bring people from the diverse back ground together. Its a small step but taking a small step every day results in thousand mile march.

Good Luck