Topic Identifier

Thread: RTI Query

1. RTI Query

Hi all out here. I wanted to know wether private companies fall under RTI.

2. The answer is a simple "no". Please refer to similar threads on the subject.

3. Sir,
    We cannot directly apply to a Private Company. We can only approach a Public Authority as defined by the RTI act.Then the PA will collect & provide the information using such powers conferred to them. [please note it is limited and we cannot demand each and every information as we demand from a Public Authority] We can only demand information's which are accessible to a Public Authority.

Please refer section 2(f) which clearly says "information" means ............and information relating to any private body
    which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force

For example we can get many details of a
    i) Private Bank through RBI
    ii) Private Telecom Operator from TRAI
    iii) Insurance company through IRDA
    iv) Parcel companies through Postal Department
    v) Listed companies, Brokers through SEBI
    vi) Societies from Registrar of societies etc.
    Regards.
    HEMA SAMPAT.
    __._,_.___
    Last edited by hemasampat; 17-02-07 at 11:48 AM.

4. As Ganpat said the answer is simply 'No', however as Hema suggested the answer is partially 'yes'. The section 2 (f) can be referred here:
    RTI Act

Not quite related but you can refer the the discussions here too:
    https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt...d-company.html

Regards,

5. Any information on co- operative societies can be obtained from the Registrar of societies because the are registered hence the registrar can get info. from them & give it to the applicant.Similarly info. on banks can be got from the RBI because it is the regulating body.

6. Question

Though i have logged in as hema sampat why am i asked to log in again?
    HEMA SAMPAT.

7. Quote Originally Posted by hemasampat View Post
    Sir,
    We cannot directly apply to a Private Company. We can only approach a Public Authority as defined by the RTI act.Then the PA will collect & provide the information using such powers conferred to them. [please note it is limited and we cannot demand each and every information as we demand from a Public Authority] We can only demand information's which are accessible to a Public Authority.
    __._,_.___
    This is a very good reply, which in effect has precisely summarised all the essential points of our discussions in the thread Is it possible to ask information from a public Limited company.

Good work Hema, Keep it up.

Re: RTI Query

Quote Originally Posted by miraroadguy View Post
    Hi all out here. I wanted to know wether private companies fall under RTI.
    Not at all

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android