Dinesh
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: What does information means under RTI?

I once asked the following question to DDA.

1. Do the authority/officials know that xxxx place has been encroached by unauthorized persons ?

2. How often the officials should visit a place to ensure that there is no encroachment ?

The answer I received from PIO was that I could only ask the information which is on record/file.

What could have been a better way to put such question ?

› Find content similar to: What does information means under RTI?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DineshK View Post
    The answer I received from PIO was that I could only ask the information which is on record/file.

It appears that the PIO is trying to show his smartness. You will have to demand that you would like to inspect all files and documents related to related to encroachments. Further, you can also insist that you would like to accompany the officers when they visit sites etc. As a citizen of a democratic country, you have full right be involved in the working of the government. So you can be involved in the matter under Section 2(i) of the RTI Act.

You can also ask your friends and neighbors to file similar applications and demand inspection.

Keep it up

Manoj

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Inspection of files and documents are sometimes not useful. As it has been observed that to help the corruption the concerned corrupt officers are simply avoiding any specific comment on the related matter. I had a bitter experience of file inspection , they did not elaborate anything--- onle mentioned"Discussed" . The PIO took this oppourtunity of avoiding harassment and simply replied-- "Nothing is available in the record" . Even as I mentioned earlier in other thread- PIO is avoiding reply wrt 4(1)(d) by simply saying -- No recorded reason is available' . Then 1st appeal, 2nd appeal/ complaint - but they are united to help corruption and corrupt people.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

RTI Act is not the solution to all problems. If the required information is not HELD by the public authority there is no way out. Of cource Section 4(1)(d) if wisely used can overcome this propblem considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by abhijeet View Post
    Inspection of files and documents are sometimes not useful. The PIO took this oppourtunity of avoiding harassment and simply replied-- "Nothing is available in the record" . Even as I mentioned earlier in other thread- PIO is avoiding reply wrt 4(1)(d) by simply saying -- No recorded reason is available' .
    You have skipped 4(1)(c). You can ask for the policy in decision making under this section, while seeking your personal involvement under 2(i). You resort to 4(1)(d) only when both fail.

The PIO is getting the upper hand over you due to your ignorance of the RTI Act. You are not supposed to write to the PIO, you have to approach the Head of the Office. Try this route first and see the response. If the respondents (PA) still tries to evade, you have to complain with the Head of the Dept. and not AA.

Note, there is a wide gap between information requested U/s 4 & 6 respectively.

Name:
    JV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DineshK View Post
    I once asked the following question to DDA.

1. Do the authority/officials know that xxxx place has been encroached by unauthorized persons ?

2. How often the officials should visit a place to ensure that there is no encroachment ?

I would suggest a bit long procedure. First you should inform DDA by writing a letter about possible encroachment and request for necessary action as per the DDA act. After sometime , say 20-30 days , you can ask under RTI about the steps taken upon receiving your letter. Sample questions like following...

* Wheather DDA has visited the area?
    * if yes, certified copies of the notes of visit/supervision be provided?
    * Weather DDA found any encrochment in the area?
    * If any encrochment is found, what actions have been taken by DDA?

Additionally you can ask questions about the functions/duties of DDA

* Does DDA regularly visits/supervise all the area under its jurisdiction?
    * If yes, what is the interval i.e. weekly/monthly/quarterly
    * Wha are the procedures/policies have been formed for regualar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jvblogger View Post
    I would suggest a bit long procedure. First you should inform DDA by writing a letter about possible encroachment and request for necessary action as per the DDA act. After sometime , say 20-30 days , you can ask under RTI about the steps taken upon receiving your letter.

Additionally you can ask questions about the functions/duties of DDA
    I am afraid, Jvblogger, if its the same PIO on duty, you will receive the same kindly of reply provided to DineshK. Why dont you read the able and sound advise given by Maneesh and Kushal, earlier in this thread? There is also a lot of sense in the post made by Col Kurup.

Manoj

Name:
    JV
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    I am afraid, Jvblogger, if its the same PIO on duty, you will receive the same kindly of reply provided to DineshK. Why dont you read the able and sound advise given by Maneesh and Kushal, earlier in this thread? There is also a lot of sense in the post made by Col Kurup.

Manoj
    I shared my experience. Further the question formed by DineshK was sort of asking the state of mind (knowledge) of an authority, which an individual can possess but not legal person like DDA.

One can ask for information under RTI, but cannot interrogate like police.

It becomes one's duty to point out the problem and ask the necessary steps. Thereafter RTI can be used like sure shot. Once you point out the encroachment and ask for the removal DDA is in fix.

Manoj, there are endless possiblities to tackle any problem. I shared my view. Dont advise me ever stating who makes more sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast