Topic Identifier

Thread: CIC views loss of files related to corruption seriously...

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

CIC views loss of files related to corruption seriously...

In a recent decision/order CIC has taken a very serious view of "missing files" related to corruption.

The respondent (University of Delhi) claimed to have lost the files and correspondence from the Anti-Corruption Branch relating to a corruption case of The Principal, Motilal Nehru College. Although the enquiry report was submitted to the VC in Jan 2004, there was no action till now.

The decision/order is attached.

Attached Files Attached Files

Name:
    Abhishek Goyal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: CIC views loss of files related to corruption seriously...

i suggest that CIC/SICs should be empowered with judicial powers; even to announce imprisonment punishments.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We often fail to distinquish RTI Act from other enactments. RTI Act is meant only to enforce provision of information held by the public authority to cityzens of India and nothing else. The responsibility to take further actions on Offences or criminal acts expossed amidst or subsequently is that of the public authority adhering to the laid down Rules. The CIC/SICs are given the powers to award penalty under Sections 20(1) & 20 (2) which include power to recommend on diciplinary action. I don't think they need anything more than this ffor the efective discharge of the duties entrusted to them.

Name:
    Sidharth
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prbhat_gen View Post
    i suggest that CIC/SICs should be empowered with judicial powers; even to announce imprisonment punishments.
    Those powers will be misused/abused.

Let them first use & exhaust whatever power vested with them.
    Last edited by sidmis; 06-06-08 at 12:19 PM.

Name:
    Abhishek Goyal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

whenever i get time i read judgements of CIC. in most of the case i find that the PIOs manages to make a narrow escape or in some case they are penalized slightly.

there should be something very harsh for them.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prbhat_gen View Post
    whenever i get time i read judgements of CIC. in most of the case i find that the PIOs manages to make a narrow escape or in some case they are penalized slightly.

there should be something very harsh for them.
    Abhishek,

It also depends largely on how strong a argument and presentation is made by the appellant. That helps tremendously.

If you have a correctly worded application, well reasoned first appeal and a strong second appeal..there is no way the PIO can escape. It is also advisable for the appellant to be present during the appeal hearings (first as well as second) if the opportunity is available to him.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android