Topic Identifier

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now, become a certified RTI activist in five sessions

1. Re: Now, become a certified RTI activist in five sessions

That is called the "communication gap".

Re: Now, become a certified RTI activist in five sessions

That is not really 'communication gap'. It is sensational journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    The government waste crores of rupees in advertise through tele-cast the question/answer sessions of the parliaments and Assemblies. What stop them from doing so at least odd hearings of CIC and SICs. In fact certain SICs like SIC, Kerala conduct their hearings "IN CAMERA". I don't think that the government and the PRESS is not aware of it. Has any of our National Media brought this out ?
    This is a SPLENDID suggestion. I realize that unlike in some countries the media is not allowed to record, let alone broadcast live, judicial proceedings in India. But given that RTO proceedings count only as "quasi-judicial" shouldn't some journalist push the envelope and seek to cover live at least the occasional RTI hearing, as the Colonel suggests? I think it will be very good for your ratings too!!!

"In camera" hearings MUST be a violation of law. Since PAs have brought in an arbitrary number of people into a hearing (RBI brought in 6, including 4 IT techies and 1 lawyer, besides the CPIO) I am sure an appellant is entitled to bring in his moral support as well. From that to having an independent journalist also be present seems only a small step. The Act does NOT prohibit anyone else from being present. Formally recording I suppose will require permission. If a PIO or FAA denies permission that would provide a good news story. Journalist-members reading this site should note that what goes on in a hearing (or fails to happen in a hearing), is far more informative about the state of play, and the true attitude of a PA, than the formal documents and responses. Also, while formal documents of necessity sometimes highlight only an appellant's own needs, questions of principle or of wider public significance will be more easy to see or appreciate by attending a hearing.

I'm sure members on this forum will have suggestions for what PAs in particular are likely to provide exciting fare. SEBI will easily top my list of suggestions for RTI hearings to cover. One can use that video then to educate folks about RTI, teach young MBAs about how our PAs behave, how there can be complete lack of correspondence between RTI questions asked and PIO responses.

It is high time for at least a few such experiments. We need some journalists who need to build a reputation, and are willing to do some work to earn it. Best,

Murgie

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Such a positive step is possible only when the bureaucracy and their Masters want the RTI Act to survive. Here, the ruling clause does not wish to divulge anything. They will be too happy if the RTI Act is withdrawn. Unfortunately they have good hold on the media. The media does not want to annoy the Masters and jeopardise their own existance. Does the RTI Act get the news value of a Film Actor ? In a country where the Hon'ble CJI find nothing wrong in proclaiming that he is not a public servant and not under the RTI Act, what can we expect ?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Regarding in-camera hearings or even video recording, please see posts after post#18 in the following thread:

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/4115-r...reprimand.html

Video-recording permitted.

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Regarding in-camera hearings or even video recording, please see posts after post#18 in the following thread:

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/4115-r...reprimand.html
    I think this settles the issue. Video-recording would have to be permitted, if someone asked. Now it's a matter of finding journalists who are willing to do a little more than armchair reporting on RTI cases. Best, -Murgie

[quote=bahl_ajay;15707]Hello to all friends,
    I am writing here after a long break. In my view all these training and certification programmes should be aimed at educating the PIOs and AAs and other Public Authorities dealing with RTI cases in various Govt Departments.

The cost to this effect should be met from the penalty imposed on these officials itself or they be made to pay for on their own.

In an instant case I was denied some information regarding the delay in payments made by a Govt. Dept on a very strange pretext which I am quoting here "[FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']In terms of para 4 of guidelines for information seekers under RTI Act, 2005 clearly stipulates that - Public Authority under the RTI Act is not supposed to create information; or to interpret information; or to solve the problems raised by the applicants, or to furnish replies to hypothetical questions. Only such information can be had under the Act which already exists with the Public Authority. Information sought is not available in the records as such question is covered under these guidelines
    May someone guide the PIO that these are just the guidelines for convenience only and not the RTI Act in itself. and it is up to us how do we interpret these guidelines.

In my view all these training and certification programmes should be aimed at educating the PIOs and AAs and other Public Authorities dealing with RTI cases in various Govt Departments.
    There's some merit in your argument.

But the PIO you have mentioned here appears to be VERY well Trained and very much acquainted with the rules.

So He does not need any training per se. Some counselling may be imparted to make him more proactive.

Coming on to your Rejected RTI Application, kindly rephrase your application and apply again and this time insist upon File Inspection.
    Only dogged perseverance will give you results. Keep on trying. Do not loose heart so easily.

Btw is it possible for you to Post/Upload/send your RTI application to the forum.

Forum members can point out changes if required.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android