Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Debate over Right to Information Act

As reported by Statesman News Service in thestatesman.net on 02 June 2008:
    The Statesman

Debate over Right to Information Act

BHUBANESWAR, June 1: A seemingly innocuous note from the chief minister's office to the parliamentary affairs department requesting the concerned officer to seek views of the designated public information officer of the High Court has triggered a debate on whether it is a violation of statutory provisions under the Right to Information Act or not.

Reliable sources said Mr Janardhan Samantray, an applicant for information had requested for proceedings and procedure regarding consideration of appointment of Orissa High Court judges. His application was rejected by the concerned PIO. Mr Samantary moved an appeal to the appellate authority which in this case was an officer of the parliamentary affairs department.

Mr Samantray claimed that his appeal on grounds that the information sought for does not come under any exempt category was upheld by the appellate authority. But instead of providing the information or opting for procedures to set the order aside, the CMO advised the PIO of parliamentary affairs department to seek views of the PIO of Orissa High Court and act accordingly.

This is, in fact, a violation of the RTI Act, charged rights activist Mr Biswapriya Kanungo. The law is clear, once an order to provide necessary information is given by the concerned statutory authority, the options for the concerned office is to give the information or to challenge it before the information commission. One cannot adopt a mid path and say that providing the information will depend on the views of the PIO of the High Court, he remarked.

› Find content similar to: Debate over Right to Information Act

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Debate over Right to Information Act

who is RTI activist mr kanungo???
    who has certified him as ACIVIST.....
    how many RTI applications he has filed????
    how many replies he has given..
    i want these answers...
    Can i file an RTI application before president of india

h
    Last edited by Shrawan Pathak; 04-06-08 at 12:09 AM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sagginyou View Post
    who is RTI activist mr kanungo???
    who has certified him as ACIVIST.....
    how many RTI applications he has filed????
    how many replies he has given..
    i want these answers...
    Can i file an RTI application before president of india

h
    1. You can get Mr Biswapriya's Kanungo's address from here:
    http://orissasoochanacommission.nic....3_23_07_06.pdf

2. He will be able to directly clarify to you as to who certified him as an activist.

3. Regarding replies given, please ask him directly.

4. You can file your application to the Office of the President.
    Do you know who is the PIO or do you want some member to find it for you ?

If you need help in drafting the application, please post your request in the section "Ask for a RTI query" and members will be glad to help you.

Name:
    Sidharth
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

>> He will be able to directly clarify to you as to who certified him as an activist.

I think instead of Biswapriya, this Question should be asked to the Statesman Editorial Team, why they have called Biswapriya an ACTIVIST and why they have left out other worthy contenders?

Sidharth

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

thanks dear
    i would now always add the word activist whenever i file any RTI aplication, PIL, consumer court.....
    SO i will very soon become RTI activist, PIL Activist, consumer activist, green activist, blue activist, air activist...so on.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sagginyou View Post
    thanks dear
    i would now always add the word activist whenever i file any RTI aplication, PIL, consumer court.....
    SO i will very soon become RTI activist, PIL Activist, consumer activist, green activist, blue activist, air activist...so on.
    That's really nice of you !
    As long as you keep the French Beard type of activism out of it !

The PIO may be doing so under sec 11 of the Act {third party info}.